Radio comedy from the 50s-60s

sweetdexter

Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel

Which was the one about the Pickle factory owned by her and her brother, was that Nearest and Dearest?

When she looked at the time on her watch.....she said "Oh I must get another finger ut on this watch" Can't remember whether Cynthia was in that

hazel

Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel

Which was the one about the Pickle factory owned by her and her brother, was that Nearest and Dearest?

When she looked at the time on her watch.....she said "Oh I must get another finger ut on this watch" Can't remember whether Cynthia was in that

hazel

Yes - that was it; Nellie and Eli (Hylda and Jimmy) had inherited a pickle business "Pledges Purer Pickles" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest_and_Dearest The watch with the missing finger was a regular Hylda Baker line.

I might be getting a bit confused here, re-Hilda Baker. Was she also in a series where she was a pub landlady ? I do remember she used to answer the phone and say, " Hello. This is the Brown Cow speaking. "

Just a quick point. She used to say, " I'll have to get a LITTLE finger for this watch. "

All in all, a great series, I thought, and the best sort of Northern Humour. What a long and varied career Jimmy Jewel had ! From ' Up the Pole ' with Ben Warris through to the Kray twins' film-------at the very least !

I might be getting a bit confused here, re-Hilda Baker. Was she also in a series where she was a pub landlady ? I do remember she used to answer the phone and say, " Hello. This is the Brown Cow speaking."

Just a quick point. She used to say, " I'll have to get a LITTLE finger for this watch. "

Yes - that was Hylda, in the TV series "Not On Your Nellie" - see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071025/ and http://hometown.aol.co.uk/leersmall/

Hylda's regular line regarding the watch was "Now what's the time? Twenty to ... Oh, I'll have to get a little finger for this watch". This was just as much a Hylda Baker "trade mark" as the catch-phrases "She knows, you know" and "Be soooon".

Hylda was a one-off - it's so sad that, after spending several years in a nursing home for retired variety artistes, she died alone in hospital in 1986, aged 81.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A strange link to 'Up the Pole' occured a few days ago. It was in regard to Sam Kydd the actor. He, apparentely organised shows while in the army during the war, one of which was called 'Up the Pole'. Fareast mentioned the Jewel and Warris show of the same name. I wonder if there's a tie in somewhere. Am I right in thinking the Jewell and Warris version was set in Iceland or somewhere, and they ran a shop. Claude Dampier was in it too.

I watched a film this evening in which Maurice Denham had a bit part. Good character actor he.

Anybody remember him in 'Much Binding' playing Dudley Davenport the young officer?

For me it has to be the Goons. Only they could come with with digging up Dartmoor Prison, replacing it with a cardboad replica,and towing it across the English Channel to France - all because prisoners were cheaper to get in France!

For one of the all time favourite sketches listen

I bow to your superior ear.I listened to it several times as well.That is what old age and poverty doe`s for you.:hihi:Cheers.

THE GRUNTFUTTOCK SAGA

Broadcast: 9th April 1967

Recorded: 13th March 1967

Previous Issue: 6:3

Gruntfuttock As A Baby

School Days

His Son On His Political Life

Dame Bella Goatcabin - His Wife

The Fraser Hayes Four recreate WWI

Gruntfuttock of Arabia

Captured by the Turks

WWII

Charles and Fiona

Rear Admiral Monty Figgis on Gruntfuttock's Political Career

Bona Press

Gruntfuttock 'tis of Thee

what was the radio programme with the title music "little red monkey"it used to frighten me to death and memories of wakey wakey dad sharpening the carving knife on the back step to carve the joint and mom chopping mint from the garden to make the best mint sauce ever happy days

Archived