Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

They live near mojacar in spain, I saw them there just before christmas .

Thanks Alex - I knew they'd bought a place down there...oh...early 70's it must've been.

I used to be their travel agent at that time, and a tour op called Horizon Midlands had just built/opened up a number of villas and apartments down there, and were doing some really good deals to get it "on the map".

Managed to get Roy and Margaret on one of the first packages down there, and they loved it so much that they fairly soon bought their own place.

If by any chance you find yourself down there again any time soon, give 'em our regards - Colin and Lynne.....

As Roy would say, "Cheers, m'dear!"

Joan Lee what a wonderful lady, and I mean Lady, known Joan and Michelle for around 10 years - couldn't ask for better people and fun, the tales we could tell, We have never laughed as much as when we are in their company. What we know about the pub trade they have forgot. Michelle took my daughter as an understudy and trained her in all aspects of the trade and this has paid off, not only does she has the knowledge and skill, but she has also adopted Michelles sense of humour and we never know what is coming next. I have never seen customer laugh as much for a long time. Heres a toast to two wonderful people.

Will let them know they are famous on Forum

I didnt know Joan was still around, I worked for her and Fred also Mick thier son please give her my love. I wonder why Radio Sheffield or some local historian doesnt get to talk to Joan while thier is still time, what a tale she could tell.

Joan Lee what a wonderful lady, and I mean Lady, known Joan and Michelle for around 10 years - couldn't ask for better people and fun, the tales we could tell, We have never laughed as much as when we are in their company. What we know about the pub trade they have forgot. Michelle took my daughter as an understudy and trained her in all aspects of the trade and this has paid off, not only does she has the knowledge and skill, but she has also adopted Michelles sense of humour and we never know what is coming next. I have never seen customer laugh as much for a long time. Heres a toast to two wonderful people.

Will let them know they are famous on Forum

"LAWRIE" at THE BRADWAY HOTEL in the mid 60's when the adjacent betting shop was Mark Lane (before Corals). I think his surname was Lawrence, hence his nickname. One of his lunchtime regulars was a retired and canny North Easterner who used to tell of a Sheffield character called Long Sammy and his ability to crack coconuts between his knees at the fair!

Anyone else remember Lawrie? I don't think he was a Sheffield man?

I didnt know Joan was still around, I worked for her and Fred also Mick thier son please give her my love. I wonder why Radio Sheffield or some local historian doesnt get to talk to Joan while thier is still time, what a tale she could tell.

Jade, my daughter is trying to get to see Joan this weekend if you 'pm' me your name we will pass your love on to her.

I agree someone should talk to Joan, you never know she may agree to this - Well see if we can persuade her

Jack and Josey Whitham at the Swallownest inn. Wednesday night folk night when obviously Jack was better at football than folk singing.

Went on to manage the Wadsley Jack and I hear he nearly kicked out Def Leppard because they were a set of scruffs:help:

Then onto the Niagra Sports Club and continuing the downward spiral head scout at sheffield United.

Joan was a nurse during the war and used to tell us stories of walking home from Fir Vale hospital to Handsworth and the end of her shift. She married Fred during the war and ran some of the roughest pubs in the east end of Sheffield up to the 70s when they moved out to Derbyshire. They were instrumental in getting the Sheffield licensing hours to coincide with Rotherhams in the early 60s so that people wouldnt get killed racing in thier cars to Rotherham for "last un" (Sheff pubs closed at 10, Rothm 10.30).

Joan was a straight as a dye, a great landlady and is still, i understyand perfectly lucid and lively. Radio Sheffield where are you?????

her knowledge of the east end of sheffield SHOULD be recorded and kept for future generations.

Jade, my daughter is trying to get to see Joan this weekend if you 'pm' me your name we will pass your love on to her.

I agree someone should talk to Joan, you never know she may agree to this - Well see if we can persuade her

• 2 months later...