Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

I think I was on a YTS with Bass North with you around 1985, we took over the Ball Inn for a week back in the days when pubs had customers in them .

hey andy mate, how you going. yeah, that week at the ball, was a blast, long time ago now though, lol. i remember the night when one of the regulars went to the greyhound next door and phoned the ball and asked for a "mike hunt" and david shouted it out in the lounge, much too everyones amusement, lol. you seen any of the old gang over the years

have you been in the ball lately? its a proper dive, the locals are out by 8pm & its been nicknamed the shiregreen hotel for obvious reasons:gag:stay well clear

last time i went in was when missus was pregnant with our first nipper an she is 9 in a few weeks so been a long time, it was a dump back then, and all the extension on the back, spoilt a good pub. most of the regulars i bump into now and again tell me how bad it is. i always wanted to stay in the trade but working with the Pattersons put me right off it!

last time i went in was when missus was pregnant with our first nipper an she is 9 in a few weeks so been a long time, it was a dump back then, and all the extension on the back, spoilt a good pub. most of the regulars i bump into now and again tell me how bad it is. i always wanted to stay in the trade but working with the Pattersons put me right off it!
that understandable, very strange big headed family &| they were only managers. i wunt go in there as it stands if it was free beer all night, its very rough

not even for free beer!!! it must be bad. whats it like in the greyhound these days?
thats gone down hill since bob & linda left & sadly bob passed away, sean price who's now got the black bull managed it for a while which wernt bad but once he'd gone it definately ruined it

In the early 70's we used to be regulars in the Tankard in Ecclesfield where Trevor (?) was the grumpy landlord. Four or five of us went there from being 16 onwards and when the last of us finally reached 18 we had a bit of a celebration and told Trevor our ages. His reply - "I've known how old you were all along but you caused no bother and the old uns needed someone to take money off at doms." Wise bloke was Trev.

'First Job' - A story of feckless youth in 70's Sheffield - free at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

thats just as i remember as well. i used to go in most nights after leaving school, and a few before. i left school in 74. genuine down to earth bloke was trevor. i still see his wife stella around the village when im over visiting family. never went in much after trev retired. fond memorys though.

thats just as i remember as well. i used to go in most nights after leaving school, and a few before. i left school in 74. genuine down to earth bloke was trevor. i still see his wife stella around the village when im over visiting family. never went in much after trev retired. fond memorys though.
i remember old trevor, his daughter is 1 of me mams mates, shiela & alan have been there ever since trevor went Edited by mh01

i remember old trevor, his grandaughter is 1 of me mams mates, shiela & alan have been there ever since trevor went

I remember going in for trev and stellas last night there. and then when it reopened with shiela and alan . but it was like going in a different pub altoghether. full of strangers . i think a good few locals. came with shiela and alan from there previous pub wich i think was down attercliffe, near banners i think. cant remember the name. we must try and meet up next time im over mate. i reckon we could chat for hours about times gone by.

I remember going in for trev and stellas last night there. and then when it reopened with shiela and alan . but it was like going in a different pub altoghether. full of strangers . i think a good few locals. came with shiela and alan from there previous pub wich i think was down attercliffe, near banners i think. cant remember the name. we must try and meet up next time im over mate. i reckon we could chat for hours about times gone by.
ya could probably tell me a few stories, im afraid youve got a few years on me mate:hihi: