Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

ya could probably tell me a few stories, im afraid youve got a few years on me mate:hihi:

well mate if your willing to listen, to an old man ( 51 ) we,ll sort summat out. do you remember judith? trevors daughter, she must be about my age.

Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.

well mate if your willing to listen, to an old man ( 51 ) we,ll sort summat out. do you remember judith? trevors daughter, she must be about my age.

judith is the 1 i meant earlier, she me mams mate, lives on floodgate at the back of the regency now, she's got a few years on you, she's coming upto her 60th in a year or so, her eldest jason is 37-38 & youngest sarah is 27-28

Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.

judith is the 1 i meant earlier, she me mams mate, lives on floodgate at the back of the regency now, she's got a few years on you, she's coming upto her 60th in a year or so, her eldest jason is 37-38 & youngest sarah is 27-28
didnt realise she was that age. i remember her first husband used to work with my dad at parramores in chap. i think he was killed in a car smash late 60,s early 70,s. cant remember his name. memorys gone again. Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags

didnt realise she was that age. i remember her first husband used to work with my dad at parramores in chap. i think he was killed in a car smash late 60,s early 70,s. cant remember his name. memorys gone again.
thats right early 70s not long after jason was born in 72, i use to do part time work for her husband frank who she's still with, nice family Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.

• 3 weeks later...

BERT -Waiting-on RANMOOR INN in the 60's. Anyone else remember him?

Listening to Classic FM this morning, a musical number reminded me of the above bald-headed gentleman, clad in white coat, who used to wait on at Wilf and Ella Garside's Ranmoor Inn at weekends.

I never knew his surname name but come weekends it was "Pray silence for Bert", who stepped forward to sing numbers like the "Desert Song" and "Trees". I found it a bit of a bind but Mrs G seemed to have a rigid musical schedule and this was Bert's moment - very good that he was.

I remember going in for trev and stellas last night there. and then when it reopened with shiela and alan . but it was like going in a different pub altoghether. full of strangers . i think a good few locals. came with shiela and alan from there previous pub wich i think was down attercliffe, near banners i think. cant remember the name. we must try and meet up next time im over mate. i reckon we could chat for hours about times gone by.
shiela & alan came from the blacksmiths at thorpe hesley

hey andy mate, how you going. yeah, that week at the ball, was a blast, long time ago now though, lol. i remember the night when one of the regulars went to the greyhound next door and phoned the ball and asked for a "mike hunt" and david shouted it out in the lounge, much too everyones amusement, lol. you seen any of the old gang over the years

Ive not seen anybody since we all left, although I did see a thing in the star about David he is a hypnotist or something like that,do you remember "bubbles"?

Ive not seen anybody since we all left, although I did see a thing in the star about David he is a hypnotist or something like that,do you remember "bubbles"?
do you mean bubbles with the ginger hair? he passed away a few month ago

Oh yes, I remember Frank only too well, as you say he ran a tight ship but never stopped us from enjoying ourselves. Wasn't Frank an ex-policeman? One thing I do know is the day Frank left the Woodthorpe, the place was doomed ! I still think about this every time I go past and see the flats that were built on the site, monstrosities that they are.

My Grandad, Richard Bell (Dick), also had the Woodthorpe Arms and the Old Harrow at Gleadless. Not sure of the exact dates (late 60's early 70's?). Got a cracking photo of my Grandma (Lou) with Wilfrid Brambell (Steptoe) in the pub.