Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

Ernie Blenkinsop-his name seemed forever above the door at The Sportsman at Crosspool. But what an amazing football record he had. Played 26 times for England and all 26 were consecutive England matches.

Even his name conjours up memories of times long gone!

My favourite was the Nursery Tavern on Ecclesall Road that was run under the iron hand of the wonderful four feet eleven inch tall Vera Jenkins(Mrs Jenkins to the likes of me).

Thanks for the reminder crookesey, I remember calling out to 'Vera', showing off in front of my mates, when we'd just started boozing as teenagers.

She came around the front of the bar, took me by the elbow and gave me a quiet, but very public telling off..the shame of it! She was fantastic though, wonder what she'd think about what's happened to her old place, no snooker room, all the old ornaments gone and that flash beer garden.

Ps: was she as tall as 4ft 11"? :hihi:

Thanks for the reminder crookesey, I remember calling out to 'Vera', showing off in front of my mates, when we'd just started boozing as teenagers.

She came around the front of the bar, took me by the elbow and gave me a quiet, but very public telling off..the shame of it! She was fantastic though, wonder what she'd think about what's happened to her old place, no snooker room, all the old ornaments gone and that flash beer garden.

Ps: was she as tall as 4ft 11"? :hihi:

She shipped all the good stuff out to her daughter and son in law's pub, somewhere near Huddersfield. What year did you start using it? I was never out of it from 72 to 82.

She shipped all the good stuff out to her daughter and son in law's pub, somewhere near Huddersfield. What year did you start using it? I was never out of it from 72 to 82.

... our paths must have crossed crooksey :thumbsup:

Used to go in a lot on Friday/Saturday nights, then Uncle Sams after, maybe 79 to 83, do you remember the 'waiters' in their short white coats? :)

... our paths must have crossed crooksey :thumbsup:

Used to go in a lot on Friday/Saturday nights, then Uncle Sams after, maybe 79 to 83, do you remember the 'waiters' in their short white coats? :)

Our son was born in 79, so we just went early bar from work from then on, the mother in law who lived two minutes from The Nursery Tavern looked after him during the daytime.

Mrs J hadn't used actual waiters since the early 70's, when the pub had seperate rooms with doors. The bell pushes were still there though, located on the shelves behind the fixed seats. However, she used glass collectors who wore short white coats, I recall a blond guy called Jan who was a glass collector.

Bar staff were Winnie, Kath and Venessa and another who I can't recall her name. A lovely pub, I never experienced any trouble in it, happy days. :D

Hi I'm Roiger Nowill that used to be at "The Frog"

My wife, Joan, and I recently returned to Sheffield, because of Joan's faltering health.

Wow Sheffield has changed so much.

By the way when I was at The Frog, I had commemorative Pots made for each of the special brews I made.

I have no use for them now so if the are of any use as decoration for anyone, just email me and you are welcome to them.

We now live in Aston amnd don't get into City centre very often, but the pubs are now mostly "faceless"

Licensees used to be characters but now most are just shopkeepers.

Should anyone fancy a pint just email me and we can meet up

Cheers

I remember when you had the place before the Frog (old Prince of Wales). You used to run a place on Leopold Street.

• 2 months later...
"Mrs Jenkins to the likes of me"

Me, too, my friend. We would never have dreamt of doing otherwise. Actress Joan Hickson would later remind me of "Ma Jenkins" appearance.

- - -

p.s.: I'm still in touch with former medical and law students, regulars at The Nursery in the 1970s.

I remember drinking he Nursery one lunchtime and Tommy Cooper came in. Bought drinks all round and had the place in tears for an couple of hours