Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

I remember Doug & Hilda at the Matilda, I used to work nearby and would pop in for a drink before going home, on match days you could be queuing to get to the bar but when Doug saw you a pint was passed back Doug stating that Harry at the bar had got it in and I would straighten up later, happy days didn't his son run another pub in the City Centre ?

Alec and Ethel who ran the cocked hat at attercliffe. She used to make the most legendary meat and potato pie, and he made sure the marstons was kept to perfection.

Antony their son took over when they retired to Blackpool, but he has now left the pub. Hence the last visit in there will remian my last. How is it possible to send a pub down the tubes as badly as that.

Bill and Ann Stanway (could have been Stanaway) had it in the early 80's.

Crikey, they're names from the past, I remember when they had the Barrel on London Road, and then I think they went to the Red House on Solly Street..my first encounter with a plate sized Yorkshire Pudding!

Ps: I think it was Stanaway.

After 'Pughy' left the Rising Sun [Nether Green] Pete and Linda Bain ran the place. Think they were there till around 1992 but it seemed much longer! They were great people (although 'Buff' took the video juke box out of the lounge when he arrived:o). But we had the best days out at the Magnet Cup, York every July.

Do you remember when Pete & Linda had the Fox & Duck in Broomhill before the they went to the Rising Sun?

Absolutely! but not HEAD! Do you remember when breweries used to do promotions in The Star for free pints at certain pubs?

I used to offer a small stipend to pupils who brought me coupons to school! No wonder I can't recall all the landlords' names.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

i remember coming to sheffield in the early 70s went in the union pub at nether edge there was a sign on the door as you went in saying no long hair allowed !! haha ....after a few times of going in landlady pulled me and warned me my hair was getting a bit long !!!! different times eh....

I too remember that sign about long hair. He must have lost some custom as when I was at art college we all had long hair. Never had a problem in the Broadfield or the Banner Cross!

Crikey, they're names from the past, I remember when they had the Barrel on London Road, and then I think they went to the Red House on Solly Street..my first encounter with a plate sized Yorkshire Pudding!

Ps: I think it was Stanaway.

They opted for the rural life for a while, and took The Cheshire Cheese on the Edale Road, they didn't settle and returned to the city centre. They were both ex met police by the way, they were the first to run the then new, Yorkshire Grey.