Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

My favourite landlady was Linda Greatorex who ran the Harlequin in the Wicker, now sadly demolished and then the Red House on Solly Street. They were great Sheffield live music pubs with always something going on. Full of characters these pubs, i spent many happy nights there playing and singing till the wee small hours. She was very welcoming but firm and fair when there were proplems!! She retired from the Red House a few years ago and all the magic disappeared overnight. Sadly missed, hope she is fit and well.

Do you think pub 'landlords' (I never liked that term) still hold the prestige and status these days? You can still run a pub and buy a Rolls Royce from wet sales alone, believe me! Some people talk of the 'golden age' of running pubs, but I think that is just the illusion of hindsight......the golden age is now, because a golden age is what you want it to be...Ok many pubs don't have 'proper' old skool landlords these days, but there are still plenty about......

I admire your optimistic views and hope that you are right. However I have seen too many pubs demolished, boarded up, changed use etc to think that the licencing trade is going in the right direction.

Sheffield city centre is far changed from my younger days, some 55,000 students give it an age imbalance as opposed to the suburbs so I concede that something had to give. However when I was their age I loved traditional pubs, the current set of youngsters accept whatever the brewers tell them is right for them.

What about daft name changes? The Yorksireman has been renamed The Lions Lair and it has taken years for The Prince of Wales on Ecclesall Road South following two silly name changes to get its name back.

• 1 month later...

To add Brian and Barbra two fantastic people-Crows Nest, Hyde Park flats

George Dalton-Hermatage ,London Road-Now Anglers rest Handsworth

Ken (R.I.P) and Marg -Shakespear,Shalesmoor

Gordon and Mavis Banister-then Bob and Jean Chapman- carlton social club

pure coincidence but all fantastic wards watering holes.

I've an idea that beer was 1/6 in about 1958/9. that was 7 and a 1/2p.

There was a landlord, small with a large handlebar moustache and a barmaid or wife called Dolly had a pub on the Base Green, not sure if it was the Centre Spot.

They said Dolly made his fortune with her blonde curls, her teeth and earings flashing and not forgetting her magnificent bosom which heaved up and down as she laughed.

hazel

John and Jean Price of The Sportsman, Cambridge Street - then they moved to The Rutland in the Paternoster Row area (Brown Street?). They made that a fantastic, friendly pub.

Jean died several years ago, and I'm not sure where John is now, but I have fond memories of the Sportsman. In fact is was John who drove my ex to the church when he missed his train to our wedding- come to think of it, maybe he shouldn't have bothered!

Doe's anyone remember Bill and Edith Gandy from the Wharncliffe Hotel at Firth Park. This was a real pub before all this namby pamby theme things. It was a pub for real live music and on the odd occation a bit off dispute, but full of characertures, that is real people.

i seem to remember that name was it after bullivant or some name like thathad it

Surprised Chairboy didn't mention Lol Auty at The Ball on Crookes.He used to let my grandad stay over (don't think he had much option:rolleyes:) when he went on his 3 day binges and didn't want to go home and face my grandma.......By the way Chairboy,u mentioned Pat Shannon.Is he still going?

Hi all, well i was having a wander round and stumbled on this site, the pub thread caught my eye, and i just HAD to register. You see in 1964/5 i lived at The Staniforth arms, on Staniforth rd, and then we moved on to The sporstsman in, on Barnsley rd. I was only young at the time, born 1960, but memories are crystal clear, much to my mothers anoyance! memories like the nights Joe Cocker played at the staniforth to packed concert rooms, the comunal bonfire parties in the car park round the back,( my brother got burnt so the night was spent in casualty). mams meat and potato pies she used to make for the customers, Dad falling down the cellar steps with a case of rum,( it stunk for days) , playing the drums on sunday afternoon after closing time in the concert room, there were still steam trains going up the side of the pub then too! coming home from school and nicking a cherry out the bar , ooh and many more, good and not so good memories. cheers Elaine.:hihi:

Surprised Chairboy didn't mention Lol Auty at The Ball on Crookes.He used to let my grandad stay over (don't think he had much option:rolleyes:) when he went on his 3 day binges and didn't want to go home and face my grandma.......By the way Chairboy,u mentioned Pat Shannon.Is he still going?

Sadly Pat, a former pupil of the CTS and later landlord of the Red House died aout four years ago. He'd be in his fifties.

The name Lol Auty doesn't mean anything to me. I guess he was mine host in the days there was the snooker table in The Ball?

Richard and Bertha Addy, landlords of The Wentworth House Hotel, Milford Street! Related to me but I have no idea what they were like as landlords, only that they ran pubs most of their lives and Bertha's daughter and grand daughter (Valerie?) were also in the business