Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

Sadly Pat, a former pupil of the CTS and later landlord of the Red House died aout four years ago. He'd be in his fifties.

The name Lol Auty doesn't mean anything to me. I guess he was mine host in the days there was the snooker table in The Ball?

My grandad died in 1989 so it was before then.

Les and Pat Sawyer had the Ranmoor Inn in the 80's. Les was the epitomy of a good old fashioned landlord and was never shy of letting a few (alright - many) expletives out, especially in the direction of the student clientele. Mainly due to the half pint of lager they made last all night :D

In 1958/59 beer was 1/6d.

Newly built 3 bedroomed semi was £1,850, extra wall plugs £4/10s and a garage to go with the house was £200

My husband brought home about £11 a wk and that was with overtime.

hazel

:cool:My uncle Paddy and aunty Annie(Paramore) were landlord/lady of the Blue Boy on Blue Boy St,and the Talbot on Hoyle St in the early sixties. In 1967 a pint of stones was 1s/9d,and i can remember buying a pint of mild in the pub at the bottom of Lumley Av.Skeggy,just down the road from Derbyshire Miners Holiday Camp(who can remember that :love:), for 1s/1d,(then over road to Linga Longa for fish n chips),5 Park Drive 11d,halfpenny,gallon of petrol around 4s?,and my 750 Norton Atlas cost about £300 from Charlie Freeman's.:cool:

My vote definitely goes for ROY (and MARGARET) MARSH at the Old Crown on London Road...Understand they've retired (abroad?) now, but they were a fantastic couple....great sense of humour, very welcoming, and kept their ales perfectly.

Margaret was heavily involved with the Licensed Victuallers and their charity functions, and regularly held whisky tastings....fantastic nights, raising hundreds/thousands for various charities.

Doe's anyone remember Bill and Edith Gandy from the Wharncliffe Hotel at Firth Park. This was a real pub before all this namby pamby theme things. It was a pub for real live music and on the odd occation a bit off dispute, but full of characertures, that is real people.

i remember them it was my local at that time you could always find me on the dart board in the small tap room as was then my brothers used it more than me we lived up bevercotes

• 2 weeks later...

my parents Jack & Eileen had pubs in Sheffield their last one was Fox House,Hathersage Rd (1973-1990)

Red Lion (Behind the City Hall) 1969-1973

remember Bill and Maggie @ the foresters Division St

John and Anne Costello

Tony & Patricia Baines (also Foresters)

many more great landlords and ladies