Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

Our local for many many years was the Middlewood Tavern where Jack & Mary Joyce were the landlord & landlady . It used to be a really good pub. I believe both Jack & Mary have both diedquite a few years ago. I am going back to the 70's now when talking about the Tavern. When I was in the UK in 2001 we visited there only to find it had been closed for quite a while due to a fire I think. But it did re open whilst we were there No atmosphere though).

Also my cousin & her husband Joan & Norman Smith had the Commercial at Chapletown for many years. Dont knpow if that pub is even still standing.

Pity that the pubs are now run by "Faceless managers" because the pubs popularity so often was a result of good managers hey?

The pubs are the one thing that here in Oz we dont seem to be able to match somehow but here again perhaps its just we "OLDER" generation once again talking about how good things used to be.

Hi I'm Roiger Nowill that used to be at "The Frog"

My wife, Joan, and I recently returned to Sheffield, because of Joan's faltering health.

Wow Sheffield has changed so much.

By the way when I was at The Frog, I had commemorative Pots made for each of the special brews I made.

I have no use for them now so if the are of any use as decoration for anyone, just email me and you are welcome to them.

We now live in Aston amnd don't get into City centre very often, but the pubs are now mostly "faceless"

Licensees used to be characters but now most are just shopkeepers.

Should anyone fancy a pint just email me and we can meet up

Cheers

Hi Roger,

Nice to hear from you, I'm one of the Draymen who delivered to you at the Frog and Parrot, had many a pint with you after the Delivery, I also remember,collecting the cleaned casks from Bridge street(exchange brewery),and dropping them in.

Regards Steve

Hi Roger,

Nice to hear from you, I'm one of the Draymen who delivered to you at the Frog and Parrot, had many a pint with you after the Delivery, I also remember,collecting the cleaned casks from Bridge street(exchange brewery),and dropping them in.

Regards Steve

Hi. Glad you are keeping well.

We have just had a new neighbour move in and surprise surptise it is Bert another drayman that used to deliver to the Frog

Another neighbour of ours is Clinton Cooper who was one of our Stocktakers at the Frog

Small World

Ron and Monica Wood of the Forresters on Division St.

Goldenfleece I think you are in the wrong era mate the licence trade is very insecure indeed these days look around at once prosperous pubs now closed, and bankcruptcies?well that another horror story.Take it from one who knows

My vote definitely goes for ROY (and MARGARET) MARSH at the Old Crown on London Road...Understand they've retired (abroad?) now, but they were a fantastic couple....great sense of humour, very welcoming, and kept their ales perfectly.

Margaret was heavily involved with the Licensed Victuallers and their charity functions, and regularly held whisky tastings....fantastic nights, raising hundreds/thousands for various charities.

They live near mojacar in spain, I saw them there just before christmas .

frank oliver ran the woodthorpe arms in the early 80's perhaps even before that aswell,he was always suited and booted and ran the place with a rod of steel,us teenagers were frightened to death of hm,what he said went,no questions asked.

yes he did, but will still all used to go in and have a good time !!!! (ex cop I believe) didn't take long for the place to go down hill after Frank and his rod of iron moved out.

• 2 months later...
anyone remember charlie and emily who had attercliffe libs the went to the who can tell at grimesthorpe. know douggie for years

i remember them well,was a regular in the wct.can recall one daughter called gloria cant remember the other ones name.she was married to terry.:huh:

rf2690, the other sister was called ivy her husband terry, is my husbands (pete) brother sadly she died 3yrs ago we used to live on brook terrace and the (who can tell) was also our local

imust know you,there was a gang of us used to go in,me im sheila.(sheila/saleh,val/frank,pat/jack sadly both died,ann/terry,irene/wally,jean/alan.my mum/dad kath and spike.used to love our saturday night after bird only if emily was in a good mood though.loved her and charlie to bits.sorryto hear about ivy ,her name came to me last night can see her now black hair.i lived on hunsley st.being as you lived on brooke terrace did you know a lass called eileen cant recall her second name she married a lad called glynn but she was living there in the sixties.please give my best wishes to terry,gloria and jim,at least i think its jim:wave: