Divorce in early 1950's

Gingerbarf

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if i can get a copy of my grandfathers divorce papers from the early 1950's? His second son to his first wife was born 1951 and he remarried in 1954, however my uncle says that during that time you had to be divorced for at least 5 years before you could remarry?? (unsure of the truth of this). so would like to see these papers to see what the circumstances for the divorce were.

Any help & guidance greatfully recieved

Martin

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if i can get a copy of my grandfathers divorce papers from the early 1950's? His second son to his first wife was born 1951 and he remarried in 1954, however my uncle says that during that time you had to be divorced for at least 5 years before you could remarry?? (unsure of the truth of this). so would like to see these papers to see what the circumstances for the divorce were.

Any help & guidance greatfully recieved

Martin

Not quite, it was the opposite way round, gingerbarf...

You had to be Married for five years before you could Divorce in those days. (these days it's only a year)

That was, if you were able to get a divorce, as it was still very stigmatised if you were a divorced person.

It was very hard to get a divorce, the grounds upon which you could obtain one were very narrow. I remember the family-scandal of the granting of my uncle and aunt's divorce decree being listed in the newspaper, and that was as recently as in the 1970's

Hi .

You could try the Family Records Centre...although there may be a charge.

The Divorce Registry is now part of the Principal Registry of the Family Division. If you need legal proof of a divorce in any court, from 1858 to the present day, please contact:

Principal Registry of the Family Division

Decree Absolute Section

First Avenue House

42-49 High Holborn

London

WC1V 6NP

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/research/divorcemain.htm

Tuppie

Archived