Ecclesfield Town Secondary School

Alanbro

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to secondary modern from 1965 to 1969 and remember there being an air raid shelter on the school playing fields. I think it was near to a clump of trees. It had a steel cover over the entrance which we once prized open and crawled inside. It was too dark to see much, then we were hauled out by a teacher, i think it was filled in and sealed up soon after.

• 6 months later...

The shelter I'm on about, ran from the garden behind the main hall round the end of the kitchen,Charlie Cooper the gardening teacher used to take us through it with a torch and switch it off half way to scare us,,,,,,,,When I say secondary modern,,,I mean the one in the village, Not the chapel town hill one, which at that time was the grammar school

The shelter I'm on about, ran from the garden behind the main hall round the end of the kitchen,Charlie Cooper the gardening teacher used to take us through it with a torch and switch it off half way to scare us,,,,,,,,When I say secondary modern,,,I mean the one in the village, Not the chapel town hill one, which at that time was the grammar school
the 2 i refer to were at the back of the kitchens going onto the playing field, i dont know exactly how big they were as the only time i got to go in them, the demolition blokes caught me & hauled me in front of the headmaster