Ecclesfield Town Secondary School

Alanbro

the 2 i refer to were at the back of the kitchens going onto the playing field, i dont know exactly how big they were as the only time i got to go in them, the demolition blokes caught me & hauled me in front of the headmaster

If the Headmaster was Ralph ......, I pity you . He was a perfect b'stard. To this day I hate him. Perhaps he has gone to the great classroom in the sky, or better still down below.

I went to secondary modern from 1965 to 1969 and remember there being an air raid shelter on the school playing fields. I think it was near to a clump of trees. It had a steel cover over the entrance which we once prized open and crawled inside. It was too dark to see much, then we were hauled out by a teacher, i think it was filled in and sealed up soon after.

I'm begining to think I dreamed this shelter,as no one seems to remember it,

It was not on playing field and did not have any covers over it,

There used to be a veg garden and a potting shed behind the hall,these backed on to the houses on the estate behind.

The shelter was on the veg garden you could just walk down a slope into it and all the way through and it came out between the staff car park and the drive entrance gate. I called into the school 2 or3 years ago and spoke to a teacher ,She didn't know about the shelter, so we had a walk round and found a flagged area where the entrance would have been.

Lol non of this is important of course,,I've just got a bug in my arse about it,

Edited by Barry Smith
This was between 1957. 1961

If the Headmaster was Ralph ......, I pity you . He was a perfect b'stard. To this day I hate him. Perhaps he has gone to the great classroom in the sky, or better still down below.

Hi Nigel. Ralph Brookes was the b'stard you refer too I was the school hero for a while because he tried to drag me out of a music lesson,as we went through the hall doors,one of them swung back and was going to hit me ,so I jumped back and elbowed him in the guts,,it was accidental but got me a slice of fame

There used to be a veg garden and a potting shed behind the hall,these backed on to the houses on the estate behind.

The shelter was on the veg garden you could just walk down a slope into it and all the way through and it came out between the staff car park and the drive entrance gate. I called into the school 2 or3 years ago and spoke to a teacher ,She didn't know about the shelter, so we had a walk round and found a flagged area where the entrance would have been.

Lol non of this is important of course,,I've just got a bug in my arse about it,

No Barry, you didn't imagine it at all. I went in it many times. Charlie Cooper sometimes kept gardening things in it, and he took us there with him. I really liked him. I know many did not, but he was always ok with me. He used to let me light the greenhouse stove in the winter when we had a gardening class.

Thanks Nigel,thought I was going gaga...

I thought Charlie was a great guy,,Did you ever fall for the volunteer trick,He would ask for six volunteers to lean over the bench in his classroom and hold onto the far side because he wanted it moving, as soon as we did,he would whack us all on the arse at the same time with an 8ft bambo cane,and tell us that we should never volunteer

Hi Barry

I can also confirm that you didn't imagine it..............I lived in one of the houses backing on to the school gardens and many times climbed over the railings to explore the shelters ( not alone I might add)..........evenings and weekends when no one was about.

Hi Barry

I can also confirm that you didn't imagine it..............I lived in one of the houses backing on to the school gardens and many times climbed over the railings to explore the shelters ( not alone I might add)..........evenings and weekends when no one was about.

Hi stevew, thanks for that,,,,You wouldn't be Steve. Wharton would you? Sorry if that's spelt wrong,If not ,you must have known him