The dreaded Blow-Football game

Timbuck

With Xmas coming soon I think back to when I was a lad and I got a present of a game called Blow Football..it was a folding cardboard pitch with goal posts and net at each end, one small Ceuloid ball and some pea shooters...It was a game for two or more persons and the object was to blow the ball into the other teams net..at first it would be great fun..but after a short while with all that puffing and blowing you started to feel unwell (Somthing to do with hyperventilating)...i always ended up with a blinding headache and lost all intrest in the game ..is this game still around . or was it banned ?

I remember blow football. I also remember an even more primitive game in which pennies and Halfpennies were used on our kitchen table. Two pennies were the opposing players and each of two people took a turn flicking one's penny at the halfpenny, which was the ball. Goalposts at each end of the table were made from 4 pennies. Considering the time it took for the "ball" to get through either of the goals, it was hardly a riveting game but we played it often enough.

Thats fantastic just like the game I had ..i'd forgotten the swinging goalies...Gives me a headache looking at it.

A few years ago I bought my brother one for Christmas and he howled with laughter as it brought back memories of by-gone days when blow football was considered sophisticated.!

Sadly, he's no longer with us.

Anyone remember subbuteo? That was even worse, you flicked the players with your fingers to kick an oversized ball. My brothers were always playing it on the kitchen table and used to get mad if I put anything on the felt 'pitch' during a match!! They took it very seriously.

As for the scalextric...!

I remember blow football. I also remember an even more primitive game in which pennies and Halfpennies were used on our kitchen table. Two pennies were the opposing players and each of two people took a turn flicking one's penny at the halfpenny, which was the ball. Goalposts at each end of the table were made from 4 pennies. Considering the time it took for the "ball" to get through either of the goals, it was hardly a riveting game but we played it often enough.

Yes we played that game with the pennies & hapennies.Wasn`t it called shove hapenny.

Anyone remember subbuteo? That was even worse, you flicked the players with your fingers to kick an oversized ball. My brothers were always playing it on the kitchen table and used to get mad if I put anything on the felt 'pitch' during a match!! They took it very seriously. As for the scalextric...!

It seems that Subbuteo and Scalextric are still going strong - see http://www.subbuteotablesoccer.com/ and http://www.scalextric.com/

I would like to think that these products are still bought for kids, but maybe it is old codgers like me who like to wallow in nostalgia...

Archived