The dreaded Blow-Football game

Timbuck

There was also a cricket game with cricketers (don't remember what they were made of). It included a miniature bat and ball and a bowler whose arm you used to have to prime somehow (elastic band? don't remember) to deliver the ball. Don't you think all those simple games exercised the imagination a lot more than the computer games of today do, or is it just me that's become an old fogie?

There was also a cricket game with cricketers (don't remember what they were made of). It included a miniature bat and ball and a bowler whose arm you used to have to prime somehow (elastic band? don't remember) to deliver the ball. Don't you think all those simple games exercised the imagination a lot more than the computer games of today do, or is it just me that's become an old fogie?

Wasn't This Was It?

http://www.letsgoretro.com/classic_games_cricket.html

I Used To Have It As A Kid-Loved It. Had Many An Happy Hour Playing It.:)

Freebird, I do remember receiving one like that from my brother in Sheffield as a gift for my son when he was little, abt 30 years ago. Try explaining the rules of cricket to someone who has never seen the game. I probably played with it the most. The one I got as a kid was even more basic. The figurines were provided, but we used the kitchen floor as the playing surface.

Yes we played that game with the pennies & hapennies.Wasn`t it called shove hapenny.

I think shove 'apenny was an accuracy game with markers. This one's is a passing/shooting game, a bit like subbuteo and a little archaic but fun!

I always got a Compendium box of games off one relative for Xmas. I thought they were great but looking back they were a right pile of old shino :)

I remember Subbuteo doing a cricket game just like this, have a

look

I don't remember escalado but another horse-racing game was Totopoly. Maybe I'm showing my age... See http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Totopoly-Vintage-Horse-Racing-Game-Waddington_W0QQitemZ180190285053QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117203QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Escalado was totaly different to Totopoly (Thats hard to say after a few beers)...Escalado was a mechanical toy..I remember a canvas race track with a handle at one end and five lead model horses c/w jocky's when you turned the handle the track vibrated (like a football rattle)and the horses moved down the track the first over the line was the winner..it was a noisy game and my Uncles used to bet money on it......Further to that I've just had a look on E bay..and it seems that Escalado has been revived by the toy companies there's loads on there for bidding, including some of the original ones...I might get one (cough) for the Grandchildren.

I think shove 'apenny was an accuracy game with markers. This one's is a passing/shooting game, a bit like subbuteo and a little archaic but fun!

I always got a Compendium box of games off one relative for Xmas. I thought they were great but looking back they were a right pile of old shino :)

Yes you right.We could never afford to buy the proper stuff so we played on the old wooden table.

When I went back to my old school (King Edward's) I noticed with a smile that, despite being re-painted several times, all the window sills on the staircase landings still showed traces of shove ha'penny goal markers that had been carved into them with penknives during the 1962 shove ha'penny craze....

Archived