Geo bassett

ang2912

POP T You sound like a very senior ex Bassett if you can go back to pre 1946 can you remember accounts dept head MR MILNES retied late 1946 been there all his working life lived on heaveygate crookes and even at 66yrs walked both ways every day

i know of this through his daughter Dorothy who was 90 last june, and is trying to beat her dad who made 102yrs he was a fanatic cricket fan and we still have his 100yre present from bassetts

i worked at bassetts from 1988 to 1998...i worked in gum deposit... i also used to live just around the corner on harewood road when i was little before they pulled all the houses down and built a nice new big leisure centre.

i worked in gum finishing from 1985 to 2009 good memories miss my work mates

• 3 weeks later...
my wife worked there for 25 yrs she was training instructor andthen supervisor i think be she took early retirment ,she was Jean Bloomer ,

I worked there a couple of times in the summers as a student in the 70s, once in the warehouse loading the wagons, and once in the main factory where I had an accident and my toe got crushed by a solid steel cylinder that fell on it. It was from one of the machines that was being overhauled and was about 4 foot long by 8 inches wide so you can imagine what it must have weighed. No big fuss or compo claims in them days, I got it patched up at the hospital and was back the next day (needed the money). I think they must have felt a bit bad it had happened tho' and I was put on light duties (painting) after that.

My Mum used to clean the offices at Bassetts when I was little so it must have been late fifties. The salesman hade a selection of sweets on his desk and mum used to help herself to one or two while working thinking he would never notice. Then one evening she came in and he left her a note that said" I dont mind you eating the sweets Alice, but do you think you could vary your selection and not eat all the coconut mushrooms?"

• 9 months later...

My mother was the pastry cook in the senior staff canteen.not sure of the dates.After 66

During WW11 we lived on Dutton Rd I was sick with pneumonia having no appetite ,I don't know how it occurred but the bassets ladies used to drop off Jelly Babies and my mother would melt them down to make a jelly for me

I have good memories of Bassetts at the end of Beulah road in Owlerton.

My sister worked there in the canteen but was conscripted into the ATS when she was 18.

One time she was on leave she took me as a small child around the factory and I came back with so many sweets that they gave me, I couldn't carry them all.

The factory lasses as we called them in those days were a great crowd, hard working, so full of life and a good laugh.

My next door neighbour worked there as a 'licorice stirrer'.

What a job title?

He could tell a few good stories being one of the few men working in the factory.

Happy Days!

i used to know a girl that worked there about 1946 betty knight lived up wadsley bridge

A long time ago my wife started working on the late shift at Bassetts. At the time she was studying at Sheffield University for a Masters Degree, she already had a Double Honours. She never told anyone about this. She was put to picking out all the mis-shapes off the conveyor belt. One night the supervisor approached her and told her the job was not any good for some with a degree abnd said she would out hrer on more challenging and interesting work. The job was making Licorice Catherine Wheels.

She was a little upset at someone finding out about her education as she got along with the lasses and didn't want to be any different to anyone, just doing the same work as everyone else. She never forgot working those nights and the great bunch of ladies working there.

Happy Days!

Archived