Oak house chippy-handsworth road

reach easy

As a child I lived on Hall Road and used the Oak House a lot. Marjorie and Ken ran it then, I called her Auntie Marjorie, she used to give me a couple of chips wrapped in a bit of newspaper so I didn't burn my fingers. If I remember right in 1960 chips were 4d and so were fishcakes (less than 2p). Fish was 8d (Haddock 10d). Those were the days!

The old Oak House was indeed a "class" chip shop.

Fall out of the Turf at chucking out time and end the evening with a fine helping of fish and chips.

Used to be a chip shop in Woodhouse almost on a par - next to a bookies. Mannings I think it was. Might still be. Who knows....

The old Oak House was indeed a "class" chip shop.

Fall out of the Turf at chucking out time and end the evening with a fine helping of fish and chips.

Used to be a chip shop in Woodhouse almost on a par - next to a bookies. Mannings I think it was. Might still be. Who knows....

Yes its still mannings but nowhere near as good as it used to be.When the kids where little we used to walk into Woodhouse have a drink outsideThe stag while they played in the square. Then get some fish and chips to walk home with they were the days wouldnt catch me sitting in the square now.

Archived