Censorship or Free Speech?

The closing of the play, "Behzti" in Birmingham is being hailed by many Sikhs as a victory for democracy and common sense.

Others may think it is a victory for mob rule and censorship, an anti-democratic act which robs people of the freedom to watch a play of their choice. Theatre goers are not the passive viewers of tv who may inadvertently see something which may cause offence.

Another question has to be, if the mob in question had been had been strikers picketing a building or business, whether the police response would have been tougher? I rather think it would.

What I don't like is the notion that because it shows bad things happening in a Sikh Temple then it is offending the religion.

Would the same thing happening with a church provoke a similar reaction (and would it breach blasphemy laws?)

If it is the fact that you cannot associate the concepts of religion and bad things happening within the same piece of work is that not state promotion of religion?

Technically we are not a secular state, so promotion of a religion (specifically Anglicanism) is a part of our constitution.

I think it is a shame that relgious groups can have such an impact on the artistic life of our country, but whilst we still have blasphemy laws I can understand non Christian religions feeling prejudiced against.

I think it's shocking that the play has been cancelled.It was written by a Sikh so it's not as if it is someone writing a play with no knowledge of Sikhism.They are welcome to protest,wear banners,write letters etc using their own right of expression but they shouldn't threaten freedom of artistic expression or use violence.

Originally posted by sarah_d

I think it's shocking that the play has been cancelled.It was written by a Sikh so it's not as if it is someone writing a play with no knowledge of Sikhism.They are welcome to protest,wear banners,write letters etc using their own right of expression but they shouldn't threaten freedom of artistic expression or use violence.

violence is never the answer. we have freedom of speach in england and should be allowed to use it. im offended by lots of things but wouldnt go around smashing things up. On a plus point - everyone is curious about this play, any publicity is good publicity??

I think an ethnic minority has shot itself in the foot here and done a great deal to promote racism. It has given the BNP a perfect excuse to promote its policies. If the play had gone ahead without protest it would have come and gone and soon been forgotten about.

I tend to think that if they have been offended then they have every right to protest as long as it remains peacefull.

I also think that the idea of free speech is one which is going to be increasingly seen as no longer the case.

Finally I dont think this is some kind of victory for the BNP it is on the contrary a victory for mob rule.

These controversies will always occur from time to time, and they're by no means restricted to non-Christian religions, as anyone who remember the release of the Life of Brian will testify.

I agree with Roy that they have every right to protest. But censorship, on the whole, is a bad thing - having not seen the play, I don't have a clue as to the level of offence it may cause, though a fair few of its fiercest critics haven't watched it either...

Archived