RUNNING - Sheffield Time Trial - organiser needed!

Hi, I've travelled up to Leeds a couple of times to take part in their 5K time trials at Hyde Park.

There was an article about the time trials in this month's Runners World.

The organisers are looking to organise one in Sheffield but need someone to be in charge - they provide everything that's needed, except marshalls and organisers etc.

If anyone is interested, the guy to contact is paul@parkrun.com - I promised that I would try to get someone to help organise as I don't have the time.....

The runs usually take part on Saturday mornings, and are aimed at mixed ability - for example the winner in Leeds this week posted a 16:43, and times went right down to 38:58 (there's usually a few walkers so this is often closer to an hour).

Any questions, please contact paul@parkrun.com

As I'm a new user, I can't post a link to their website but just do a google search on "park run" and you'll find time trials....

Good evening Kivo-Runner.

When organising running events of any nature, there are a multitude of problems to consider and the time required can be hard to find. Perhaps that's a simple reason there have been no responses to your thread.

I am speaking as one who has been involved in race organisation for many years.

This is a bad time of the year, in so much as most people are involved with everything surrounding Christmas. 2 Sheffield based running clubs are unlikely to offer help i.e. Sheffield Running Club are already organising a Cross Country event in Graves Park on Saturday the 29th. Steel City Striders have just had major involvement with the organisation of their 10K Percy Pud race.

Sounds a good idea, lets hope someone volunteers to take on the task.

Finding a suitable traffic free location is a major problem these days. The road from the old Lodge Moor Hospital site towards Redmires could be used and there is a large parking area at the rear of the ' Sportsman ' pub.

Fingers crossed that somebody comes forward !

Hi Runningman,

I didn't expect any replies - just thought I would give it a go.

Unfortunately I'm too busy to organise it - 5 years ago I would have taken it on!

I did the Percy Pud, and it was brilliantly organised.

Bad news for me - 5K is my favourite distance (God knows why as it hurts) but really hard to find locally!

• 1 year later...

I appreciate that this is quite an old thread I've dragged up- however I wondered if any of the posters (or anyone else for that matter) would be interested in the weekly time trial currently taking place on Saturday Mornings from the Source at Meadowhall Car Park. The course is 4.2km and is an out and back route, it is timed and your result is posted on the She runs he runs website. It's quite informal, just meet in the car park ready to run for 8am, runners have full use of the Source Gym's changing room, lockers and showers. The Time trial and use of the source's facilities are free, as is parking. The start point is also right next to the Tinsley/Meadowhall South tram stop.

Times have ranged from about 14 mins to 40 mins, so I would say it is suitable for people who are very good runners and slow coaches like me.

Hope to see some of you there!

Medionman- I wasn't sure if your reply was to me or regarding the park run. Just in case it was a reply to my post- the Meadowhall run is organised by the running shop Sheruns heruns. Staff from the shop do the timekeeping and there is always a marshall at the halfway point who runs back in with the last runners. I just posted on here in case people who might be interested in doing the run didn't know about it.

Archived