Are milk checks still used ?

Guest poppins

Guest poppins

Just wondering if people still used milk checks and milk deliveries ? i suppose with all the cars and supermarket shops now people tend to pick up their own milk.

We use to buy them from the stores, thats the only place i remember selling them.

Remember milk checks too - they came from the stores because they delivered the milk - and I seem to recall that the price used to change part way through the year - a bit more expensive in summer than in winter? or possibly the other way round? Ages since I can remember anyone talking about the 'stores' - is that an expression still used in Sheffield? I've never known it anywhere else. For those who may not understand, it's the co-op shops - B & C or S & E. We lived in the part of the city that was B & C - can still remember our number. You could always go in an S & E shop and give your B & C number but if you said you'd got a B & C number they often looked a bit disapproving.

Guest poppins

I don't remember S&E but we did go to Brightside & Carbrook

lovely big wedges of cheese sliced right off the block.

i think the milk checks had another colour change, some black ones circulated at one time, don't know what those ones were for.

i have milk delivered to my house, i must be the only one in our town that does it, now it's just billed direct on to my credit card, bit more expensive but well worth it, worth it alone just to walk passed the milk section in the super market with my nose up !

Guest karenjane39

I still have milk delivered to the door, but that's mostly because we qualify for free milk for the baby (7 pints a week, we get a paper milk token for it) until she is five.

After that I shall go back to buying it from the supermarket, it's cheaper!

My mum still has milk delivered to her in Fulwood from a local farmer. She buys milk checks from the Coop. However, it's more expensive so she also buys cartons from the store too. She keeps buying milk from the milkman because she hates the thought that they could go out of business if people stop patronizing them. She used to have eggs delivered too but that farmer quit that because of competition from supermarkets.

It's because of the Aldis, the Nettos and the other cheap European supermarkets that local businesses are losing customers. Can't blame the customers who want to save money though!

My mum buys milk checks to pay for her milk delivery, they are still available in Sheffield from main Co Op in town and some independant local stores as most of the local Co Op's have long since closed down.

The current ones in circulation are a turquoise / light blue in colour, but remember seeing them in yellow, orange and green. They work out about 46p per pint I think.

They rotated the coloured checks when the price of the milk went up at various times in the year, I remember the milkman banging at the door demanding 1p because we had put out old tokens.

Guest karenjane39

poppins,

people on benefits and child tax credit (us) are eligible for free milk for babies under five.

You get a milk token and can exchange it for formula milk for babie's bottles or, when they get older, one pint a day which the milkman will deliver. I think you can take your milk token into the supermarket and buy 7 pints in one go also.

Once your baby is over five then it stops, or once you no longer qualify for any kind of benefit.

Archived