Are milk checks still used ?

Guest poppins

I once worked in a Co-Op dairy [bottling plant] and the poor girl who was cashier for the day used to have to wear surgeon's gloves for receiving the cash and tokens from the milkmen. Amazing the number of people who would drop their tokens or money into the bottom of unwashed milk bottles, the tokens and money had to be washed in disinfectant and dried before it could be sorted and bagged.

Do you mean 'milk tokens'? Little plastic discs like toy money?

Maybe we used to call them milk tokens cos mum and dad came from Bradford - milk checks could be a Sheffield thing.

We also had a subtley different pronunciation of the word 'Co-Op'. Cos while Sheffielders always say it as it's written - 2 words, Co and Op - we pronounced it as one word - Cwop. I've always blamed that on mum and dad's Bradford origins too!

Gosh, fascinating. ;)

Guest poppins
Originally posted by steelcitybab

we get out il delievered from flewitts in Stannington!!!

:thumbsup:

Flewitts ! is the owner called David ? think mom had them when she lived in Stannington, he delivered to the Manor house for old people, i'm sure he still does as they don't get out much .

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Funke88

My mum still has milk delivered to her in Fulwood from a local farmer. She buys milk checks from the Coop. However, it's more expensive so she also buys cartons from the store too. She keeps buying milk from the milkman because she hates the thought that they could go out of business if people stop patronizing them. She used to have eggs delivered too but that farmer quit that because of competition from supermarkets.

It's because of the Aldis, the Nettos and the other cheap European supermarkets that local businesses are losing customers. Can't blame the customers who want to save money though!

I think it's also because of Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda as well, which are British, much more widespread and have a greater market share in the UK than Aldi, Lidl and Netto. We can't always blame Europe for everything!

The "stores". That brings back memories: my gran always used to say it. I remember the B&C om Gower Street and on Scott Road.

I also once worked at the Social one uni holiday on the sick benefit desk. I often forgot to include the milk tokens on the giro.

Memories!

Archived