Ecclesfield 'village'

My other half was born and brought up in Ecclesfield, and she's been reading these posts with great interest. She can remember most of what's been recalled and would like to ask this.... Does anybody remember Mrs Catlin wo worked in the chippy at the side of the Ball, apparently she made the best chips ever. Also the cobblers next door, which became a bookies, Goldsmith's fruit shop (run by Ken and Dorothy), and what about Rushby's bakery?

Bring back memories to anyone ???

i can remeber catlins they were the best and all the other shops the off sales near the cop shop jonesers chippy had my wedding do in the old scout hut remember the slaughter house next to the church and the chippy next to that

Well that was a trip down memory lane for me but there are some names that I expected to come across but didn't. Robert and Dorothy Marriot, Terry and Paddy Talbot, and their two older brothers Jim and Kevin, and sister Marie, Graham Wells, Peter Jones who's mother ran Jones's chippie just down from Smiths motorbike shop, I hated him at school. Peter Cook from near the workies by the dam, I think his dad was a coal man. Peter Goddard. Mick Pegg who I read with some sorrow is no longer with us; we were good mates for a while. Brian Marsden and his mate Alf, and a boy at school who I think was called Mouse, he was a bloody bully. Trevor Smith whose dad had a motorbike and sidecar, and the Hibbertsons lived at the other end of Bernshall Crescent near the Corkers. Phillip Goodwin and Dinky Dalton. Frank Goddard and Don Savage. More names will come to me I am sure.:huh:

i used to play in your garden as achild with your siblings you used to have bread and dripping and dip it in tea iwas about 8

The off sales near the old cop shop was Atheys and Jean Athey their daughter was in my class in infants/juniors. I remember rushbys bakery, Eardleys optician which was where the landerette is on St Michaels, the beer off next door and there used to be a sweet shop at top of cross hill where Eardleys opticians moved to and we could get a 'pennorth' of sweets in a cone from a machine. My favourites were satin cushions, little sack shaped boiled sweets in all colours and rainbow crystals.

Hulleys ice cream factory on High Greave used to have a kiosk at the top of the drive and you could get a gigantic (or so it seemed when I was a child) cornet for theepence (late ninteen fifties);)

Hi Banjo - As I recall it had a long back garden which was kept up at the time mainly by my grandfathers grown children and their respective spouses (my aunts and uncles). *** What year did you leave that house and was the wash house ever converted into anything other than what it was originally intended?

Hi Fleetwood, I lived there from 1964 to 1987 when I got married and I still live very close, my Dad lived there until he died in 2005. The wash house was only ever used as a cellar for storage. That house did have a long garden (right down to the brook) as alot of the houses on Cross Hill do but only the top part was ever used.

Hi Fleetwood, I lived there from 1964 to 1987 when I got married and I still live very close, my Dad lived there until he died in 2005. The wash house was only ever used as a cellar for storage. That house did have a long garden (right down to the brook) as alot of the houses on Cross Hill do but only the top part was ever used.

I think your Dad must have been JM. I knew both him and your Mother. When I was a kid, my Mother always bought eggs from him, as she said they were the best around. I also remember your Grandparents in Washington Road. Happy Days.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Banjo I also lived at 173 cross hill 24/12/1960 to 28/5/1983 when I also married Ialso live very close by I remember most names in our house but no Banjo I used the bottom part of the garden to play in and hide from everyone is this when I missed you sorry

There used to be a cake shop in the village just along the road from the Black Bull. We used to call it the "Penny Bun shop", as the woman used to sell us yesterdays laft over buns for a penny each!:hihi:

that would have been boltons bread shop. I remember going in there with my mum when she did the shopping on saturday mornings in the mid to late 60,s my mum would ask for a shiilings worth of yesterdays buns and they always put 13 in the bag. after that it would be sid moss,s shop for fruit & veg then peter bennets for the meat. and sometimes a packet of sweets from cath bookers shop. very fond memorys of very happy days.

( I think a woman called christine worked in boltons )

that would have been boltons bread shop. I remember going in there with my mum when she did the shopping on saturday mornings in the mid to late 60,s my mum would ask for a shiilings worth of yesterdays buns and they always put 13 in the bag. after that it would be sid moss,s shop for fruit & veg then peter bennets for the meat. and sometimes a packet of sweets from cath bookers shop. very fond memorys of very happy days.

( I think a woman called christine worked in boltons )

Sounds like an exact copy of my Saturdays, in fact I had to check that I didn't post this !