Ecclesfield 'village'

hi petertunckle,

margaret is my cousin and she says you can contact her phoning her on

<REMOVED> after 9-oopm weekdays.

regards b.j.e.

Edited by esme
publishing personal information on an open forum

Is her sister Audrey? If so would like to know if she is ok, She probably wont remember me,we were at school together

I believe her sister was called Audrey, she had lost her mother before I knew her but she was living with her dad at 219

Mod Note

Please remember that anyone can read these messages, if you wish to pass on sensitive information such as phone numbers or addresses please use private messaging.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what happened to the instruments when Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band disbanded. As someone who learnt to play with them,as did Sycamore 66, many years ago I hope that they were not just scrapped.

• 3 weeks later...
good question tonio. A couple of ex players who might know are john blazey and david hines.

I will be back in the village in about a months time so i will try and find out what became of the instruments and sheet music. my guess is that they probably went to an auction.

My great grandad, Thomas Steele, was a bandleader with Chapeltown Silver prize band and he had a golden trumpet. He is buried in Burncross cemetery and his headstone had a golden trumpet, sadly although the headstone is in good repair and still has the trumpet on the gold has faded over the years. I would love to see it restored to it's former glory. When I went to visit his grave I got talking to an old guy who said he used to go through the churchyard as a child and remembers seeing the golden trumpet.

I remember back in the early 70's the village band took out a loan of £1000, which was a lot of money in those days, from sheffield council to help pay for new uniforms and to update some of the older equipment. The loan was over 5 years and was paid back ahead of schedule, through the hard work of band members and there familys at that time.