Ecclesfield 'village'

my grandfather built the house at 173 crosshill, ecclesfield, a few doors away from the old hulleys ice cream factory and garden (as it was then). I'm probably talking approx mid 40's, i remember living there for a short time and temporarily going to a school in the neighborhood. I seem to recall the house being a little unusual because from the front it looked somewhat normal but at the back it had a lower wash house (as they called it) underneath the house. Cannot remember if it was semi-detached or detached.

hi i grew up at 173 cross hill we moved there in 1960 it is a semi detatched house i still own it and my son lives there now with his family

hi i grew up at 173 cross hill we moved there in 1960 it is a semi detatched house i still own it and my son lives there now with his family

Thanks TRICIA165A for your interest, if you refer back to post #637 you might notice that *Banjo* also lived there at some point, might you have a family connection? None of my business really, but just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Edited by fleetwood

• 2 weeks later...
I think this has been mentioned previously on the 'Ecco pages' , but they used to sell ice lollies to t' school kids from round t' back o' pub , i often used to buy one and i'd make it last until i got to the top o' Greaves Road...:hihi:

Picture of sportsman is brill that's been stuck in my memory since i was about 10 1963 and I have always associated the pub with the lollies from the back...brilliant that you should mention that.

dos any one remember greaves wool shop at end of genel to shiregreen and lyons general store at end of st michels rd

Yes I remember Mrs Greaves. I also remember her son Alan and daughter Marilyn. That's a long time ago. Lyons shop was 125 Cross Hill. I think it is now a sunbed tanning shop, but I am not sure. After it was Lyons it became Hurdley's opticians.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

I think the coalmans name was basher.

You're right it was and he used to have what I thought were two huskies bur somebody else said they thought they were some other breed. I remember Mr Basher, he was a plump what to me in those days seemed like an old man. He used to wear what I thought was a leather sleeveless jacket but maybe it was just shiny with age and all the coal dust.

You're right it was and he used to have what I thought were two huskies bur somebody else said they thought they were some other breed. I remember Mr Basher, he was a plump what to me in those days seemed like an old man. He used to wear what I thought was a leather sleeveless jacket but maybe it was just shiny with age and all the coal dust.

Yeah all coalmen whore those sleevless leather jackets.

yeah , they were Elkhounds , not huskies