Ecclesfield 'village'

we moved back to Shiregreen in the mid 50's a Mary Whitham? came round in a Fordson pickup selling fruit and veg, later it was a modern Austin i always understood that she had a greengrocers on St Michael's Rd could be wrong. Remember Mr Frost [barber] Cross Hill had my hair cut but never said a word just short back and sides.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that.

Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).

Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.

I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.

Happy Days!!!

Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.

If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!

Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp

A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.

Price Guide:

£40,000-50,000

Makes a change from Ebay

Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).

Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.

I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.

Happy Days!!!

I remember your Dad calling the Bingo at Ecclesfield WMC around 1964.

Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.

If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!

Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp

A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.

Price Guide:

£40,000-50,000

Makes a change from Ebay

I knew someone who drowned themselves in the dam and someone who tried but failed. Supposedly, in the 1920's, a horse and cart slipped into the dam, and was never seen again. How it got to the dam at all beats me. The nearby Willowgarth (with the island in the middle) hails back to Anglo Saxon days when a dwelling was on the island (most likely a wooden one) with a moat around it.

Re The fishing ponds - I wish, and thanks for the information about the island. I can still remember the thrill of being the "great explorer" when I discovered it. I'd forgotten about my dad calling bingo, he did loads of things, I know he used to do the posters as I was fascinated by all his pens and exotic inks.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.

On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.

On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

The young lad was Gordon Spavold . He died in hospital after falling from the pylon. He was known to be 'naughty' and lived on Kinnaird Avenue (I think -- the road opposite the old Essoldo anyway).

I knew him. One day while playing outside his house he suddenly asked if I would like a book and went inside and came out with 'Enquire Within ...' I've no idea why. I'd be about 10 or 11.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.