Ecclesfield 'village'

Hi all ... Just spent a while reading through the post here and can recognise loads of great stuff!! My family moved to Ecclesfield in 1964 and i spent the best part of 30 years there. I can remember Nigel Womersley from the Priory Players and I think that he might still remember my mum Barbara Simmonite. One thing I can remember and never managed an answer to was what appeared to be a tunnel of some kind which was in the Ecclesfield Junior School playing field just over the wall behind where the Infants School kitchens were .. Some said that it went all the way to the Church (quite unbelievable of course) but it did disappear a fair way though to be fair. None of us ever dared to go down there and eventually it was capped over. I'm pretty sure that what's left of it will still be there and would love to find out what it actually was ...

Dave Simmonite.

Hi Dave

How old were you in 1964? as I also went to Ecclesfield school as did my brother and 5 of my cousins

Hi .. I would have only been 3 in 1964 and went to the Infants when i was old enough to start school .. (whenever that would have been) ...

Dave Simmonite.

Edited by Dave_Simmo

Did Athol live on Smith Street at Chapeltown at some point, or is that someone else?
not that i know of mate, he lived at his present address since 74 at least

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 21:37 ----------

Hi all ... Just spent a while reading through the post here and can recognise loads of great stuff!! My family moved to Ecclesfield in 1964 and i spent the best part of 30 years there. I can remember Nigel Womersley from the Priory Players and I think that he might still remember my mum Barbara Simmonite. One thing I can remember and never managed an answer to was what appeared to be a tunnel of some kind which was in the Ecclesfield Junior School playing field just over the wall behind where the Infants School kitchens were .. Some said that it went all the way to the Church (quite unbelievable of course) but it did disappear a fair way though to be fair. None of us ever dared to go down there and eventually it was capped over. I'm pretty sure that what's left of it will still be there and would love to find out what it actually was ...

Dave Simmonite.

barbara simmonite.....lovely lady with a lovely family:)

not that i know of mate, he lived at his present address since 74 at least

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 21:37 ----------

barbara simmonite.....lovely lady with a lovely family:)

Thankyou Thats very kind of you :-) mum and brother still live in Ecclesfield but I defected to High Green about 19 years ago ...

Thankyou Thats very kind of you :-) mum and brother still live in Ecclesfield but I defected to High Green about 19 years ago ...
i know, i still see them on the village, havnt seen you since you lived on floodgate, hope youre keeping well :)

• 3 weeks later...
I remember Brian Nugent having The Arundel, and also his mother before him. Always known locally as 'Peppers', it had been in that family for over a hundred years. It was also known as 'Mary Jane's'. Brian's mum was born a Pepper, At Christmas, the bar would groan under the weight of the free food for customers. They would have an 'Ecclesfield Carols night' too. Perhaps not quite as lavish as the one at the Black Bull, but nevertheless a very enjoyable evening. Mrs Nugent's brother was Ted Pepper, who was the butcher on the Mill Road, Nether Lane, Common crossroads. The shop now belongs to the Riggs family. Prior to Mr Pepper having that shop, he had the corrugated steel shop where the Royal Bank of Scotland now is. After he had it, it belonged to Mrs Wroe, who ran it as a fish and chip shop for many years. Now those were fish and chips!

I went to Ecclesfield Secondry Modern with Brian (or Ben as he was known) Nugent and we used to knock about together up Whitley Lane, shooting and tickling trout (or trying to), which lived in the Whitley Lane stream.

I went to Ecclesfield Secondry Modern with Brian (or Ben as he was known) Nugent and we used to knock about together up Whitley Lane, shooting and tickling trout (or trying to), which lived in the Whitley Lane stream.
but did you ever get any trout from the stream? i got caught poachin as a youngun up at whitley hall, got away with it though, just said i thought it were a pond anyone could fish:hihi:

You probably knew two of my cousins then they would be about your age, can't send you PM yet as you haven't got enough posts to receive them