Ecclesfield 'village'

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember Sleney's barbers at the corner of Linden Road. Ibet Nigel does. I think it's still a hairdressers now. As a kid, my dad would take me up and over Sycamore Road, through the park and out onto the Common. The old guy (Sleney) at the barber's had arthritis in his hands and his knuckles and finger joints were huge! Always preferred going there to have my hair cut, rather than to Steele's on Mill Road. Didn't like him. (no offence mate- it was a lonnnng time ago).

Nigel- if you're reading this- I'm Gordon's brother. I enjoy reading your posts- so informative, and bring back some right memories.

With your permission, I shall tell everyone the story about you winding up the postwoman who used to do The Wheel, in a way that actually backfired on me when I was doing The Common.....:D

Yes, I remember both of these, but, what about the lady hairdresser who cut locks in her kitchen. This was on the hill over to the park (was this sycamore). I think her name was MRs Frost. She had two daughters. I was about 10 yrs old, so 1950.

The other barber was somewhere near the Nurses Home, corner of Barnsley Rd. That was where I had my first DA and Tony Curtis.

Yes, I remember both of these, but, what about the lady hairdresser who cut locks in her kitchen. This was on the hill over to the park (was this sycamore). I think her name was MRs Frost. She had two daughters. I was about 10 yrs old, so 1950.

The other barber was somewhere near the Nurses Home, corner of Barnsley Rd. That was where I had my first DA and Tony Curtis.

Hi Ken and Iris

Her name was (honestly) Mrs Barber.19 Sycamore Rd.We lived at 25. She gave me my first Crew Cut. She is still alive and well and living in Birdwell. I saw her a couple of months ago shopping in Hoyland

Is the Mrs Barber you have mentioned the same one who used to go in the Greyhound with her husband in the 1970s. Can't remember her husband's Christian name off hand, but he was a grand chap. They had a son.

Re the barber's shop on the corner of Cross Hill and High Street, did they call the lady Mrs Frost?

Is the Mrs Barber you have mentioned the same one who used to go in the Greyhound with her husband in the 1970s. Can't remember her husband's Christian name off hand, but he was a grand chap. They had a son.

Re the barber's shop on the corner of Cross Hill and High Street, did they call the lady Mrs Frost?

The same Lady. Her husband died about 1984 but she remarried and moved to Birdwell 14 yrs ago.

The barber at the corner of Cross Hill and High St was indeed Mrs Frost but she only cut the one style....short back and sides. When this shop closed it was taken over by Shields Insurance who then later moved to their present location in the old co-op opposite the Library

The same Lady. Her husband died about 1984 but she remarried and moved to Birdwell 14 yrs ago.

The barber at the corner of Cross Hill and High St was indeed Mrs Frost but she only cut the one style....short back and sides. When this shop closed it was taken over by Shields Insurance who then later moved to their present location in the old co-op opposite the Library

I remember her very well. Sat with her and her husband on many occasions in the Greyhound tap room, in 1976-7 period, along with Billy Hoyland and a chap who smoked a pipe and lived in the red-bricked houses close to the junction of High Street and St Michael's Rd. Bill? (His wife was called Peggy).

Hi Ken and Iris

Her name was (honestly) Mrs Barber.19 Sycamore Rd.We lived at 25. She gave me my first Crew Cut. She is still alive and well and living in Birdwell. I saw her a couple of months ago shopping in Hoyland

hi, i remember my father going up to get his hair cut in mrs barbers kitchen.