Ecclesfield 'village'

Ooooh I know your mum, she's lovely. I worked in Ecclesfield Library for years n she was a regular in there :D ........................
hello lynblu my cousin use to work in the library in the late 80s i cant remember if it was joanne or nicola they called her from high green Edited by mh01

Google Ecclesfield and you will find lots of links of books and pics of Ecclesfield. I have found the slide of your uncles and will post it ASAP

img008.jpg

Best I can do for now.From book called Voices of Ecclesfield,Grenoside, High Green and Chapeltown Well worth buying.

hello lynblu my cousin use to work in the library in the late 80s i cant remember if it was joanne or nicola they called her from high green

Hiya, sorry can't think of who ya mean :confused: there was a Joanne but she wasn't from High Green. I left bout 3 years ago .................

can anyone tell me much about the reading rooms on the bottom of priory? my aunt lived there until they were bulldozed in 72

The Reading Room stood (as you say)at the corner of Church Street and Priory Road. Until the 1850s, the Reading Room was the Feoffes School. The building was erected in 1722 and stood on the site of an earlier wooden structure. It was demolished in the early 1970's. It was on two levels. The downstairs had a large room, which could be adapted into two, by drawing back the wooden screen halfway down the room. It was used for many functions, especially by the local Toc H. At the time of its closure, the downstairs room was used by the Conservative Party (which perhaps owned it) - the upper room was used by the Jehovah's Witnesses. The entire building was very damp. There was a cottage at the back (entrance by Priory Road). I remember Bernard and Annie (Nee Higgins) Booker living there before they moved to Church Street. They were a real nice couple. Damp it may have been, but The Reading Room was very quaint, and certainly a part of 'Old Ecclesfield'. I doubt that it would have been allowed to be demolished today - but then half the village I knew as a kid has gone.

yes, it would be nice to see photos of that school or my first school, rawsons infants, both wonderfull old buildings that should have had preservation orders on them.

EccBand.jpgG].photobucket.com/albums/cc164/toniosf/img010.jpg[/img]

A couple of pics of Rawsons Infants for you Sycamore.

Jimmy Gee leading ESP around Black Bull corner. I know some of the players and one of the bass players looks very much like Athol Higgins from CSPB.Are you on it?