Ecclesfield 'village'

Does anyone remember the old village story about the secret tunnel wich was supposed to go from the church and leed across to whittley hall?.it was supposedly sealed up at both ends because of the danger of it collapsing. i just wondered if anyone else had heard this or any similar storys?.

I remember the story. The Tunnel was actually supposed to go from The Priory to Whitley Hall and vice versa. I have seen both entrances, but they have been bricked up. The story goes that the soldiers who were stationed at The Gatty Hall during WW2, went down it as far as they could, but after so many yards it had collapsed. There was supposedly a tunnel from the cellar of the old surgery in Church Street, into the actual Parish Church. I once asked Dr Mackintosh to let me have a look. He had no objection, but assured me that there was nothing there. Another story goes that when the old village stocks were stolen from Stocks Hill, they later turned up in the surgery cellar. Here again, there was nothing.

I remember the story. The Tunnel was actually supposed to go from The Priory to Whitley Hall and vice versa. I have seen both entrances, but they have been bricked up. The story goes that the soldiers who were stationed at The Gatty Hall during WW2, went down it as far as they could, but after so many yards it had collapsed. There was supposedly a tunnel from the cellar of the old surgery in Church Street, into the actual Parish Church. I once asked Dr Mackintosh to let me have a look. He had no objection, but assured me that there was nothing there. Another story goes that when the old village stocks were stolen from Stocks Hill, they later turned up in the surgery cellar. Here again, there was nothing.

interesting stuff, i wonder if anyone knows how old the tunnels are?

Corkers owned the ponies, ( fruit n veg) didnt care much for the ponies as far as I'm aware, one had a rotting foot and it kicked my brother when he tried to look at it. Remember going through the ice at the dams n being chased off wet through!

The Corkers did own horses, but they were cared forand they were not the ones on the common

I remember years ago possably 1968/69 part of my paper round went up priory road. it was when the new houses were being built opposite the cemetery. i used to deliver papers to the priory wich at that time was split into three private dwellings.but they werent numbered as such.each dwelling had a different coloured door , so the news papers were marked either priory blue/ priory green /or priory red. (if i remember the colours rightly)

He is my uncle but I don't have any contact with many family members anymore, I now live in the USA. I have great memories of the whole Corker family meeting in the village to watch the Star walk.
i went to skool with his youngest steven & worked for henry for a short while in the late 90s he lives on cross hill know & has a fair bit of land behind the house for his horses & chickens etc