Ecclesfield 'village'

Glen (Gal) was a mate of mine, he bought a JAP speedway bike and we went up to Beighton tip to have go, poohed myself 0-60 in the blink of an eye and no brakes! Spriggsy's brother Geoff, lives next door to me now up Deepcar but can't remember Malcolm Peat. Spriggsy arrived on this "Heath Robinson" home made chopper thing, it looked the dogs danglies but it was no good for the racing we were doing. I was a Greno lad but we all went to Ecco comp and Sheffield speedway together. I reckon you might be Wardu...of Ballyconnell??

well mate , cast your mind back to ecco comp and you must remember mark jenkinson, a good freind of mine who kept in touch after school right up and till i moved over to live in ireland. well it was marks dad who gave me the nickname :wardoo: I cant remember many greno lads from school but NICK MALLINDER comes to mind, he was a good footballer as was hayden james who used to win the cross country run regulally until he started smoking. do you remember paul ronksley from school? he was big into motor bikes.

Yep, Jenks, me and him once cycled to Castleton, hilarious day out, annoyed the hell out of a family of Yanks in a cafe by reading Jenks' Mayfair on the table next to them and talking loudly in false yankee drawls. He painted your car blue once didn't he? Inside and out if I remember. Nick Mallender was the only cricketer I recall who cleared the oak tree in the middle of Greno park with a six and landed one in the middle of the bowling green while the old biddies were playing. Aiden James, forgot about him, yes he was a real athlete. Ronks, his sister married Jenks but it didn't last.

BTW, do you remember the old Alvis that Jenks and Ronks were renovating in the shed behind the Park Hotel? I wonder what happened to that project. The radiator weighed nearly a ton on it's own we needed block and tackle just to take that out.

There was Johnny Coldwell as well, he was a bit of a character. I don't see any of them.

Did anyone ever take part in the marathon darts games on a Sunday in the White Bear? There would be sometimes 50 playing "life", two lives @ 10p per person, Brian Langworth or Brian Gloag normally won, they even played for the Yorkshire Pairs team together. By the time it was your second throw you were well pssed and couldn't throw straight.

BTW, do you remember the old Alvis that Jenks and Ronks were renovating in the shed behind the Park Hotel? I wonder what happened to that project. The radiator weighed nearly a ton on it's own we needed block and tackle just to take that out.

There was Johnny Coldwell as well, he was a bit of a character. I don't see any of them.

your bringing some memorys back now mate, i spent hours working on that alvis, from welding right up to the final paint job. mark still has it and does weddings with it, including my sisters a few years ago. when mark got married to ronks sister they lived on rudyard rd at hillsbro for a while. i spent many nights on there sofa after too much special brew to drive home. I still see john coldwell sometimes when im over visiting my mum and dad. i think johns dad still lives on linden rd.

does anyone remember pete casey, from linden rd ,i used to call for him on the way to school when we went to ecco comp,he used to live in the last house beside the park. he had a sister called andrea. my sister sees her in morrisons occasionally. then there was alison pears who lived next door to pete.

Edited by sycamore66j

does anyone remember pete casey, i used to call for him on the way to school when we went to ecco comp,he used to live in the last house beside the park. he had a sister called andrea. my sister sees her in morrisons occasionally.
pete casey moved from ecclesfield about 2yr ago to live up handsworth way i think, he still works at swann mortons if you want his number let me know:)

does anyone remember pete casey, from linden rd ,i used to call for him on the way to school when we went to ecco comp,he used to live in the last house beside the park. he had a sister called andrea. my sister sees her in morrisons occasionally. then there was alison pears who lived next door to pete.
andrea hasnt worked at morrisons for a couple of year, she now works for cafcass at rotherham, she moved to rotherham aswel about 2yr ago