Ecclesfield 'village'

I remember about that ecco park, i really have wonderful experience there with friends, paddling is really fun

I have fond memories of Ecco park 'When i were a young 'un'..:hihi:..especially the swings /slides /spiders web / paddling pool and HULLEYS ice cream van ( choc o pops & buried treasure anyone !! )

My grandfather built the house at 173 Crosshill, Ecclesfield, a few doors away from the old Hulleys ice cream factory and garden (as it was then). I'm probably talking approx mid 40's, I remember living there for a short time and temporarily going to a school in the neighborhood. I seem to recall the house being a little unusual because from the front it looked somewhat normal but at the back it had a lower wash house (as they called it) underneath the house. Cannot remember if it was semi-detached or detached.

I used to spend hours in the paddling pool in the mid 60,s. there used to be a drinking fountain beside the jeffcock memorial and if that wasnt working we just drank straight from the stream. never did us any harm either. one of our favourite tricks in those days when the paddling pool was full, was to go down behind the dam and fill a jam jar with tadpoles, then empty them in the paddling pool. most of the young girls used to run from the pool screaming if they spotted one:hihi:

My grandfather built the house at 173 Crosshill, Ecclesfield, a few doors away from the old Hulleys ice cream factory and garden (as it was then). I'm probably talking approx mid 40's, I remember living there for a short time and temporarily going to a school in the neighborhood. I seem to recall the house being a little unusual because from the front it looked somewhat normal but at the back it had a lower wash house (as they called it) underneath the house. Cannot remember if it was semi-detached or detached.

It's a semi detached.

Living next to Chapeltown park I sometimes used to feel that Ecclesfield park had more 'on offer' than ours, tennis and paddling anyway :hihi:

dont forget the putting green next to the tennis courts. we used to pay and collect our ball & putter from the old wooden pavillion. I think it was 3d per round. im showing my age now, talking about threpenny bits:)

img356-2.jpg

img346.jpg

Whillst converting some old slides to digital I came across these taken in the early 60's. Whit Tues Star Walk.

Who can remember the 1 penny loaves from Rushbys.

The red brick building was Goldsmiths greengrocers.

Tonio

The putting green in Ecclesfield Park was neglected when pak keepers were removed from the park. The bowling club did manage the putting green for a while but the parks department missed the putting green off their maintenance schedual and footballers took it over. The holes were removed for health and safety. The putting was very popular on bank holiday weekends.