Ecclesfield 'village'

I remember catching loads of sticklebacks in the stream on station road, we used to follow the stream down behind where the police station now stands. It was like a jungle adventure when we were 10/12 years old. as for the tunnel under st marys lane, i was never brave enough to try that one, we used to do the easier one that goes under the common at the end of linden road. I also used to play in the bandstand when i played with ecclesfield silver prize band, that would have been early 70,s. dont recall the dizzie dens though.

We did the tunnel under the road on Green Lane where Sicey Avenue meets it. I remember our cycle speedway club on our way to Green Lane, started to ride round and round the bandstand and within half an hour there must have been every kid with a bike in Ecco riding round it. It was like L'arc de Triomph at rush hour.

just been on google earth and it looks like some sort of jehovas witness place is on the spot where the cycle speedway track used to be. does any one remember the old underground air raid shelter near the stream at the very bottom of sicey avenue. me and brian spriggs once crawled in and found magazines dating back to the early 1950,s.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone else remember playing in the dizzie dens on Station road, and catching newts down the bottom of Station road?

hi glynn, could you give us a clue where the dizzie dens were on station road, and what they were. i spent a lot of my youth playing down there but have no recollection of them. maybe it was a different era, or maybe we had a different name for them.

Does anyone else remember playing in the dizzie dens on Station road, and catching newts down the bottom of Station road?

hi glynn, could you give us a clue where the dizzie dens were on station road, and what they were. i spent a lot of my youth playing down there but have no recollection of them. maybe it was a different era, or maybe we had a different name for them.

Ok, this would have been in about 1962 onwards, but as we turned into Station Rd, on the right hand side, about 50ft in was a tree and a stile through the wall. A river ran out from underneath the factory across the road and flowed down by the side of the dizzie dens, which were on the other side of the river, over a tall steel mesh fence. It was actually the pattern yard where the wooden patterns from the foundry were stored, but some of the patterns were as big as a caravan and had been broken open so you could climb inside them. Many a heated game of cowboys and Indians, and Cops and robbers took place in there, often brought to a premature end by the workmen chasing us out. I still have a scar on my forehead where some bugger shot me with an air rifle!!!

Me and Mark Sanders (Gnasher) used to spend many an hour in FR Smith's scrapyard after they'd finished work. We'd climb up to the bridge and walk along the railway line. There was a path between what is now Morrisons and Bike driving school (as you all know) and somehow we managed to get to the coking plant filter pool, by 'eck the fumes from there were awful.

My grandfather built the house at 173 Crosshill, Ecclesfield, a few doors away from the old Hulleys ice cream factory and garden (as it was then). I'm probably talking approx mid 40's, I remember living there for a short time and temporarily going to a school in the neighborhood. I seem to recall the house being a little unusual because from the front it looked somewhat normal but at the back it had a lower wash house (as they called it) underneath the house. Cannot remember if it was semi-detached or detached.

Hi Fleetwood, I grew up in that house :thumbsup:

Edited by *Banjo*

Ok, this would have been in about 1962 onwards, but as we turned into Station Rd, on the right hand side, about 50ft in was a tree and a stile through the wall. A river ran out from underneath the factory across the road and flowed down by the side of the dizzie dens, which were on the other side of the river, over a tall steel mesh fence. It was actually the pattern yard where the wooden patterns from the foundry were stored, but some of the patterns were as big as a caravan and had been broken open so you could climb inside them. Many a heated game of cowboys and Indians, and Cops and robbers took place in there, often brought to a premature end by the workmen chasing us out. I still have a scar on my forehead where some bugger shot me with an air rifle!!!

I remember t'dizzi dens "reight well"..3 or 4 of used to buy a couple o' bottles o' pale ale and a pack o' NO 6 cigs ( we'd be about 14 at the time ..1967 ? )..and sit in them big pattens and have a swig an' a cig :hihi:...happy days..we didn't cause any trouble , but one day a copper caught us and moved us on:suspect:..".Dont come back or i'll tell yer parents"..we never went back after that..... "too freetened":hihi:

Hi Fleetwood, I grew up in that house :thumbsup:

Hi Banjo - As I recall it had a long back garden which was kept up at the time mainly by my grandfathers grown children and their respective spouses (my aunts and uncles). *** What year did you leave that house and was the wash house ever converted into anything other than what it was originally intended?

On the land across from the post office which led into park there was a petrol station and an empty hut which was once a fishing tackle shop. You went down a path at the side of these into the park. At the bottom was a bridge over the stream, just at the side of the pavilion, bowling greens and tennis courts