Ecclesfield 'village'

Isn't "Nightgown Terrace" now known as Lyndon (off the common) ?

so called because a woman in a nightgown used to go along the row of houses waking up the early shift of miners or something ?

Or am I getting confused with another story ?

JJ..:)

No, I think you are right because I was told the same story many many years ago.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

My mother would make up some sandwiches and off we went across the fields from Southey. Parsons Cross was just started being built but the fields behind the school were untouched. There was a pond bout half way where I would grab some frog spawn and shove it down my young sisters dress which for some reason, which I could never fathom, my mother gave me a thick ear. We always went to a park with a pond in the middle and roundabouts, swings etc. My mother took some tea to one of the houses and a lady there mashed it in a big jug and we sat in the bandstand and were as happy as pigs in muck. That was in 1934-5 time. Oh! happy days.

• 2 months later...
aaaw barbara wilkinson what a lovely lady. the last time i saw her she wasnt too good on her feet, havnt seen her for a couple of years bless her, hope shes ok

I was talking to Aileen last year. She said her Mum (Barbara) was now in a residential home.

Talking about Barbara Wilkinson, I used to live next door to her mum and dad Mr. and Mrs. Hall and play with Judy, Aileen's sister. Have been looking at the film in Ecclesfield Park and what memories that brought back. Played bowls with my mum and dad, Annie and Harold Badger and my brother Neil. Also had many good times in the paddling pool and on those swings and spiders web. What would health and safety have to say these days!!

I remember being an assistant to the May Queen and being on a stage in Ecclesfield Park near the cricket pavilion. Still have the photo's to prove it. Anyone remember the Dunwells? both played cricket for Ecclesfield they used to live in our yard and often played with us as kids. The coalhouse doors used to be the wickets. My mum and dad came to live in Perth, Western Australia and have both died now but we used to talk a lot about the old days . If anyone sees Judith Wilkinson as she was of Barbara Ridge please pass on my good wishes and hope they are well.

I was talking to Aileen last year. She said her Mum (Barbara) was now in a residential home.

Talking about Barbara Wilkinson, I used to live next door to her mum and dad Mr. and Mrs. Hall and play with Judy, Aileen's sister. Have been looking at the film in Ecclesfield Park and what memories that brought back. Played bowls with my mum and dad, Annie and Harold Badger and my brother Neil. Also had many good times in the paddling pool and on those swings and spiders web. What would health and safety have to say these days!!

I remember being an assistant to the May Queen and being on a stage in Ecclesfield Park near the cricket pavilion. Still have the photo's to prove it. Anyone remember the Dunwells? both played cricket for Ecclesfield they used to live in our yard and often played with us as kids. The coalhouse doors used to be the wickets. My mum and dad came to live in Perth, Western Australia and have both died now but we used to talk a lot about the old days . If anyone sees Judith Wilkinson as she was of Barbara Ridge please pass on my good wishes and hope they are well.

if im thinking of the same barbara ridge then im afraid she passed away some time ago. im in touch with aileens son paul so i'll mention the forum to him, i havnt seen his grandmother (mrs wilkinson to me) for a while so i'll try & get you an update

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
R.I.P ecclesfield WMC. spent some very happy hours in there

shame it had to close, especially when a local business offered to step in with a proposal!! how good would it be to see the club turned into a high class function suite? baldwins did it at the other side of town?? who actually owns it?

• 2 weeks later...

Re posts #964 - 965 ...If anyone knows the Residential Home that Barbara is in , would you please send me a PM ...My 91 year old Mother would like to meet up with her if possible .. Many thanks ..GUZZI :)