Ecclesfield 'village'

Yes I remember Mrs Greaves. I also remember her son Alan and daughter Marilyn. That's a long time ago. Lyons shop was 125 Cross Hill. I think it is now a sunbed tanning shop, but I am not sure. After it was Lyons it became Hurdley's opticians.

yes it woz a long time i used to fetch stockings 4 my mom we lived in the houses at other end of gennel in shirgreen ther used to be a chewing gum matchine on wall and i think cigs there would not be there these days

ne

Anyone know if old Albert Butcher is still around? He lived on Nether Terrace, and before he retired used to work at Brightside Engineering after previously being at Newton Chambers. Not seen him knocking about for a long time.

• 2 months later...
I remember your Dad calling the Bingo at Ecclesfield WMC around 1964.

You might have also known my uncle..... Alf Justice... he used to go to the club with my Auntie Doris... they lived on Town End Rd. Near the rifle range. I grew up at 54 Townend Rd. Was in the Brass Band My uncle used to take me all over... The lea, The shrogs, The WillowGarth, Whitley etc. Uncle Alf was a Miner.

My Dad was called Jack Smith. Regards Phil

• 3 months later...

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, athol higgins, ecclesfield band, sadly past away a couple of week ago. i know hesbeen mentioned on this thread a few times due to his connections with te band, cant remember if it was brass or silver prize. i grew up with him looking over my shoulder in case i ever did owt wrong (which was quite often) i only upset him once when i accidently broke his window, i gladly paid for a replacement out of my pocket money & we got on great ever since, he was a great gentleman & will be sadly missed

mh01

Your post brought back to me an amazing memory. I was in the pub yard near the church and there was a load of people there. I was with my grandpop, John Gilpin he was called, we were singing Christmas carols. He was singing the low notes in harmony and I was little, probably about 7-8. It was really nice and there was a band playing.

mh01

Your post brought back to me an amazing memory. I was in the pub yard near the church and there was a load of people there. I was with my grandpop, John Gilpin he was called, we were singing Christmas carols. He was singing the low notes in harmony and I was little, probably about 7-8. It was really nice and there was a band playing.

eyup sapa, that would probably have been the black bull car park, they did it every year when i was a kid, im pretty sure they were known as the ecclesfield silver prize band

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, athol higgins, ecclesfield band, sadly past away a couple of week ago. i know hesbeen mentioned on this thread a few times due to his connections with te band, cant remember if it was brass or silver prize. i grew up with him looking over my shoulder in case i ever did owt wrong (which was quite often) i only upset him once when i accidently broke his window, i gladly paid for a replacement out of my pocket money & we got on great ever since, he was a great gentleman & will be sadly missed

Did Athol live on Smith Street at Chapeltown at some point, or is that someone else?