UK Mama - Restaurant/takeaway. Your opinions...

Miss_S_83

Hi,

Mi mum just gave me a menu for UK Mame on Fulwood Road... now I have never had African Carribean food before but it sounds nice so wanted opinions on this place and also do they deliver all over Sheffield? Says no certain limits on the menu.

Not sure what I will like either, I eat mainly chicken based things, don't mind a bit of spice. Any recommendations?

As an established foodie - I'd skip it, I'm afraid.

It's very hit and miss.

The service is absolutely abysmal. Possibly the worst I've ever experienced - and I've been around!

You'll be waiting a long, long time for your food, and the atmosphere of the restaurant is just plain bizarre.

It has fantastic potential, but the owner - and I know him personally - needs a rocket inserting somewhere where the sun is currently not shining.

A lovely man doth not make a successful restaurant/business I'm afraid.

As an established foodie - I'd skip it, I'm afraid.

It's very hit and miss.

The service is absolutely abysmal. Possibly the worst I've ever experienced - and I've been around!

You'll be waiting a long, long time for your food, and the atmosphere of the restaurant is just plain bizarre.

It has fantastic potential, but the owner - and I know him personally - needs a rocket inserting somewhere where the sun is currently not shining.

A lovely man doth not make a successful restaurant/business I'm afraid.

Aww, shame to hear it, fancied something different too! I was thinking of the takeaway option (delivery) but suppose the service would be similar. Still open to opinions though but will bear this all in mind :-)

I agree it's not the world's most organised place, but I wouldn't write it off. I have many happy memories of that place, although usually because of extenuating circumstances. Odd menu, never the wine you want, debit / credit card machine never works etc etc etc. Occasional moments of brilliance in the food though.

Ive been a few times and the foods great, especially the Johnny Cakes! The soups a little salty though, and yes im affraid it does take ages for the food. We once ordered and it took 2/3 hours I think, but it was worth the wait. If you are going to order, make sure you order a few hours before......... They are really nice people and did make us chuckle :hihi:

A friend and I ate there a few years ago. We experimented with food we were not used to eating, and had an enjoyable meal. But, Stagewalker's experience would appear to be more recent than mine.

We gave it a number of tries Red...hoping desperately that things would improve :(

I wanted it to work - I really did. The chap who owns it is a wonderful, wonderful man, but I suspect that it's surviving on little more than a shoestring and memories of the past.

It's certainly been up there in days gone by - you need only look at the photo's displayed on the walls. But on the occasions when we've been - we've been the only ones there (and I'm talking peak times on Friday and Saturday night)

I once witnessed an angry customer calling up about their takeaway which was three hours late. At that point we had been waiting two hours for our main course. There were no other customers in the restaurant.

If ever there was a project for Gordon Ramsay's kitchen nightmares - this is it.

Archived