What about the sixties pubs then?

marycrookes

We've done the 60's coffee bars, so what pubs can you remember?I'm mainly thinking of the pubs that had groups on, we'd look down the "Star" each evening, and there would be columns of pubs with groups playing, I can remember the Sicey hotel Shiregreen, the Wharncliffe at Shiregreen,The Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe. the Fleur De Lees at Totley, there was one at Sheffield Lane Top, the Firvale,( this was quite respectable at the time) in fact just before Joe Cocker became famous outside Sheffield, I can remember sitting with him here, and he was really fed up,but just after he hit the big time and the rest is History. There was also the Arbourthorne, and the Woodseats club, are there anymore? I must be having a senior moment because I can't remember anymore so please help me out.

Can't remember going to many with groups but one really unique pub for that time was The Old Blue Bell on High Street.

What a place ! Even by today's standards ,it was very depraved. It was only small,2 rooms downstairs and 1 [?] upstairs. The downstairs back room was like the Casbah.

A really bizarre mixture of people would all mix in together----very democratic !---Hippies, gangsters,drug addicts ,the gay crowd,a few straight people---- and the Law were always paying a visit.

Black Bombers and dexedrine used to float around like sweets[in fact that was their nick-name] and there was some smoke but I can't recall any heroin or cocaine.

People from other cities would have heard of it and pop in when they were in Sheffield so on top of the local celebrities,you were always meeting other interesring people.

The B.B.C. even made a documentary about it and it was built round a young girl who runs away from home and ends up at the Old Blue Bell.

I've never known a place like it ,before or since. Very little violence, a very '60's atmosphere.

An odd thing was that a completely different crowd used to go in the upstairs room[middle aged couples and so on] and each lot probably thought the other lot were crazy.

When it all came to an end,the regulars seemed to split into two groups.The "quiet" ones started to go in the Mulberry more or less opposite but down a side -street and the "rougher" ones went to the Grapes on Trippet Lane ---and other places of course !

I went to all the pubs mentioned above, but my favourite was the Fleur De Lees at Totley . . . . had some really good times there. The Blue Bell was anoher I liked, and I know there were plenty more I went to. There was one out Brinsworth way, one at Intake and another somewhere near Monsal Dale (all with groups to listen to), the names escape me now but I bet someone can remind me. The Old Blue Bell I remember too, it was very close to where I worked at one time so made a handy waterig hole

Tony

Yep Fleur de Lys at Totley was good,bit of a trek from Hillsborough though long before we all had cars,decent bus service then.Almost all the pubs along West St used to have Jazz bands, the more we and the band had to drink the better they sounded.Great times.

can anybody remember the claymore pub what use to be across from the mulberry tavern. then there was the blue bell in fitzallan square the orchard what is now the hogshead there was the hole in the wall down in the wicker, the bull and mouth, the marples, the old queens head the oldest pub in sheffield, the globe,the cossack where the limp wrist people went and the barley corn, the saddle on west street, red house was a sixties pub as was the beehive the hallamshire hotel the grapes on trippet lane and then further afield what about the 12 o clock pub just down from the wicker.

In the late 60s there used to be a lovely pub at Attercliffe opposite Banners. I think it was called the "Dog and Partridge". Classy joint - had a lot of 50s classics on the Juke Box (Johnny Leighton, Frankie Laine, Johnny Ray etc). We used to get the 17 bus from Parson Cross to go the disco there on Thursdays.

Is it still around?

Hi bushbaby it is but it is not called the dog & partridge anymore it is now a gentlemans club whats the word a posh place for the table dancers and bar dancers ie metal poles and I bet it didnt cost you anything to go in when it was the dog&partridge now it costs about £20 to go in the drinks are very expensive in there plus the tip for the dancers.

Originally posted by bigkev

the old queens head the oldest pub in sheffield

Hi Bigkev. The Old queens head is far from the oldest pub in sheffield. The nailmakers arms has had it's licence for over twice as long.

Although It is almost certainly the oldest building in the central sheffield. It spent it's earliest three centuries having other uses including a laundry hall and a banqueting/hunting lodge.

Archived