What about the sixties pubs then?

marycrookes

If this was posted in 2005 and you say the Dog & Partridge has had at least 217 years licence then it must have opened in 1788.

Accordind to reference at the library it didn't open until 1797.

No one has mentioned the Bull and Oak in the Wicker (now demolished) as Sheffield's oldest pub. I am sure I once read in the Star that it had been a pub continuously since sometime in the 18th century (about 1760 I think).

This is contrary to the information I have been told. I have been told that the Nailmakers building is older than the Queens Head but the Queens Head was a pub before the Nailmakers. I'm curious now and would really like to establish this fact.

The Old Queens Head has been a pub since 1841, the Old Grindstone at Crookes was a pub before 1838, there are several pubs in Sheffield that have had a licence longer the the Old Queens Head, oldest building yes but not the longest serving pub.

The Nailmakers has held a licence since 1626, thats 215 years before the Old Queens Head.

The Old Queens Head has been a pub since 1841, the Old Grindstone at Crookes was a pub before 1838, there are several pubs in Sheffield that have had a licence longer the the Old Queens Head, oldest building yes but not the longest serving pub.

The Nailmakers has held a licence since 1626, thats 215 years before the Old Queens Head.

I can't imagine you would have needed a licence in 1626.

My mates and I used the Adelphi Hotel across from the Lyceum as our jump off point most nights,then the Brown Bear on to the Red Lion after that the Wharncliffe on West St,then the Saddle finishing at the West St Hotel by which time we were registering full to the neck!.In the 60s it was the custom to drink halves,it may be all in the mind but we seemed to sup more than when we were on pints.I remember losing my car keys one Christmas Eve in the Wharncliffe,I had to smash the quarter light and hot wire my own car,a bit of a choker.We used to visit all the pubs mentioned in all the previous threads because in those days you could see a group every day of the week!.Happy Days gone forever!.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

what about the nelson with its dive bar great night out. anyone remember chris who worked in the dive bar. he knew everybodys name and what they drank.

I remember Chris,he used to have my mate's and my pints poured before we could fight our way to the bar!great guy.

Archived