What happened in Sheffield for the Coronation (1953)

ara01jbb

I've been given a 1:1250 scale Ordnance Survey map of the centre of Sheffield dated April 1953. It's centered on Barker's Pool, goes north as far as Campo Lane, west as far as a bit of Rockingham Street, south to Charles Street and east as far as the site of the Winter Gardens.

EDIT: sod it, I've slapped a watermark on, and await the folks at Ordnance Survey to come and tell me off... here is a link to the map:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2176/2121917865_e087869710.jpg?v=0

I'm trying to find out what was going on in Sheffield around this time. Every time I have a spare hour I go to the Local Studies Library in the city to scroll through a reel of microfilm copies of the Sheffield Telegraph, but that's pretty slow progress.

Can anyone tell me what happened the week of the Coronation in Sheffield? Were their parades, street parties or festivities in the city centre? I'm going to get to that date in the newspapers soon, but would appreciate other info.

Thanks,

*j*

My mother told me that there was a street party in Attercliffe, and the kiddies (girls) were presented with a commemmorative miniature teacup, saucer and plate set, which had the Lord's Prayer on and a replica of da vincis last supper painting on it.

(IIRC the boys got a penknife.)

We went to my Aunty's in Southey Green to watch the coronation on her "television set".

I was 12 then and felt very important because we had a relative that had a telly. It was to be another couple of years until we got one ourselves.

I remember going to Hillsborough football ground with all the schools in Sheffield and taking part in a clebration for the coronation. We were wearing red white and blue shirts and when we were all in position and bent over, it made a giant Union Jack.

Her Majesty was driven round the pitch in a Limo and she waved at us. I don't know how near that was to the actual coronation although it was 1953.

We went to my Aunty's in Southey Green to watch the coronation on her "television set".

I was 12 then and felt very important because we had a relative that had a telly. It was to be another couple of years until we got one ourselves.

I remember going to Hillsborough football ground with all the schools in Sheffield and taking part in a clebration for the coronation. We were wearing red white and blue shirts and when we were all in position and bent over, it made a giant Union Jack.

Her Majesty was driven round the pitch in a Limo and she waved at us. I don't know how near that was to the actual coronation although it was 1953.

I was at the stadium that day, Joan. Wasn't it Bramall Lane though? Around the time of the Coronation, the young boys in school each received a pen knife with the Queen and Prince Philip's images on the handle. I lost mine on the way home from school, which upset my mum no end. I forget what the girls got.

I remember that at School all the girls got a commemorative mug and the boys got a penknife..these penknives must be very rare now co's as soon as you tried to cut something the plastic handle broke off...plastic wasn't very good in 1953..Also I remember people carrying chairs up and down the streets at 8 oclock in the morning..off to a house with a telly, our house was full of relatives and neighbours who had not got a telly ..at about 11 oclock the anointing bit in the coronation took place and co's the Queen might expose some of herself , the TV camermen filmed the ceiling in the Abbey in respect while a choir sang a mournfull song...i got fed up of the ceremony at this point and went into Concord Park to kick my football around..I must have been the only person in the park that day...I remember the Hillsborough Football Do was some Months later when the Queen did a tour of the land...Another memory of that year was the successful climbing of Everest announced the day before the big event.

I was at the stadium that day, Joan. Wasn't it Bramall Lane though? Around the time of the Coronation, the young boys in school each received a pen knife with the Queen and Prince Philip's images on the handle. I lost mine on the way home from school, which upset my mum no end. I forget what the girls got.

I was also at the stadium and it was Hillsborough. Remember pushing my way to the front so that i could see! We girls at our school got a small pair of scissors shaped as a stork. We also got a New Testament from Sunday School, which I think I still have somewhere around.

No it was definitely Hillsborough I was there as well the girls got scissors in the juniors the younger boys and girls got a mug and tin of chocs.

No it was definitely Hillsborough I was there as well the girls got scissors in the juniors the younger boys and girls got a mug and tin of chocs.

Yes we got scissors, i was at St Patricks school on Lane Top, we were all taken to the pictures to see the coronation thats when they gave out the scissors ect. .

Like Timbuck, at our Primary school, the boys got a knife and the girls a mug and as far as I can remember, we had a school street party .......of sorts.

We were lucky in that we had a telly [ [ a Cosser [ ? ] I think ] and our back room was like a miniature cinema, filled with relatives and friends, coming and going all day !

Unfortunately, it was a dull, showery day, both here and in London, although I believe the sun did come out in London for a time in the afternoon.

I don't think anything very special otherwise happened in Sheffield at that time. We had about 50 cinemas on the go, transport was very cheap, there was still widespread bomb damage to be seen and full employment, with the steel works going at full blast.

Internationally, Stalin had died in March so things had relaxed a little in Europe and Everest had been conquered shortly before the coronation. An important year for many people. [ On a personal note, I passed the scholarship and we moved house from one part of Hunter's Bar to another ].

Archived