What has happened to the Crystal Bar?

honestjoe69

When Crystal Bar first opened (and I know I may get shot down for this) I used to like the ‘exclusivity’ it tried to create. It was nice to go into a bar where there was a more laid back attitude and I didn’t have to worry about rabbles of football fans or squawking hen parties spilling drinks on me.

However, because of work commitments I’ve not been for the last year but last Saturday I did get the chance to go back with some old friends.

Jesus wept, it was awful. They allowed anybody in wearing anything they liked. They were letting in large groups of guys who were already plastered and the music was like a bad wedding reception.

Did I just experience a bad night or has it really gone down hill and if so why?

I think the choice was

a) stick to the stupid, pretentious dress code and rules about who comes in, limit your takings and probably go out of bussiness or

b) let anyone in, make some money and stay in bussiness

I liked it first time round. The food was really good. Clearly there was no money in the inital market, which is a shame. They used to do fab lunch time meals, which then became sandwiches and then nothing. I don't even think it bothers to open on Saturday afternoon.

When Crystal Bar first opened (and I know I may get shot down for this) I used to like the ‘exclusivity’ it tried to create. It was nice to go into a bar where there was a more laid back attitude and I didn’t have to worry about rabbles of football fans or squawking hen parties spilling drinks on me.

Did I just experience a bad night or has it really gone down hill and if so why?

Unfortunately there is a lot more money to be made in selling VK at £3 that costs you 30p then the initial target clientele spending £6 on a cocktail that costs £2 to make and a lot more time and fresh ingredients. Sheffield dictates what it needs and not enough people were going to Crystal before, unfortunately without support they have to switch the lowest common denominator which is alco pops and high return drinks. Look at the branding it went from all high end spirits at normal prices with fresh squeezed juice to the cheapest vodka money can buy and coke for £1.50, but it sells so why wouldn't they. If you had the choice of owning Sheffields best bar making nothing, or a complete dump that makes 250k a yr profit, which would you rather have?

As previously mentioned it is a business and personally I think it is too big to support that type of clinetele, if I were cellar 35 I would seriously consider chasing the business that their VIP area and members lounge has lost, A. it is next door, B. It can have some exclusivity due to its size, C. It is a nicely fitted out venue with both dancing and seated areas. (and I dont work for them! Just think its a good venue)

However, because of work commitments I’ve not been for the last year but last Saturday I did get the chance to go back with some old friends.

Jesus wept, it was awful. They allowed anybody in wearing anything they liked. They were letting in large groups of guys who were already plastered and the music was like a bad wedding reception.

Its such a shame that your senses were offended so by seeing "ordinary people".

I do hope that when you fainted that your butler caught you just in the nick of time and ferried you back in your Bentley to Dore ....

And that Jesus weeping didnt trouble you too much ... Im sure a wandering Jew like him should have been turned away at the door if it were properly run ... maybe he was weeping at the prices !

Its such a shame that your senses were offended so by seeing "ordinary people".

I do hope that when you fainted that your butler caught you just in the nick of time and ferried you back in your Bentley to Dore ....

And that Jesus weeping didnt trouble you too much ... Im sure a wandering Jew like him should have been turned away at the door if it were properly run ... maybe he was weeping at the prices !

Wow! I wasn't sure how someone would turn this into an anti Dore rant. That was impressive - I see what you did there! :loopy:

I don't think this thread is anti-'anyone with money'. I think it's more against the pomposity, snobbishness and aloofness of the type of people who think the working class (because ultimately that's what the original poster is getting at) have no place in somewhere like Crystal.

I don't think this thread is anti-'anyone with money'. I think it's more against the pomposity, snobbishness and aloofness of the type of people who think the working class (because ultimately that's what the original poster is getting at) have no place in somewhere like Crystal.

I have re-read my original post and I think it is amazing how people jump to whatever conclusions they need in order to support whatever narrow minded views they have.

I am not rich and considering 99% of my family live on Parsons Cross (and that is where I was raised) and I really don't have a problem with 'working class'.

Also, the irony is that it is you who is extremely narrow minded. When I was referring to my negative experience of Crystal bar with the large group of drunken men who were allowed to enter, you automatically assumed I was referring to men who are 'working class'. Why was this? Do you think all working class people are drunks??

The group of men in question were all dressed really well and I there was no way I could tell just by looking if they were working class or upper class (rich people get drunk too you know).

The issue I was trying to raise was that the bar was allowing anybody to enter and not caring to keep a respectable environment.

Archived