Taylor's Eye Witness Works - what's going on?

Alastair

I just found this about one of my favourite buildings in Sheffield, the Taylor's Eye Witness works on Milton Street behind Pinders and the big electricity substation near the roundabout opposite Waitrose. It's one little bit of old Sheffield that should be preserved, but it appears to be under threat of redevelopment.

I can't believe what they want to do to it.

Does anyone know any more?

http://www.eyewitnessworks.com/

Well i never...I work there...in fact im writing this from there now....thats the 1st i know about it, its funny cos the MD is call Alistair..... :suspect:;)

Well it's not me!

One question, are the knives actually made on the premises? I have a Taylor's Eyewitness knife that I bought at Mortons and it's excellent.

Well it's not me!

One question, are the knives actually made on the premises? I have a Taylor's Eyewitness knife that I bought at Mortons and it's excellent.

I know mate, yes they are...our knives are very good quality...In fact im selling a 5 pce knife block (oval shape) with the Revival knives in it if your interested?? :)

http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_cat/kitchen_knives/rosewood

I know mate, yes they are...our knives are very good quality...In fact im selling a 5 pce knife block (oval shape) with the Revival knives in it if your interested?? :)

http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_cat/kitchen_knives/rosewood

I don't need them myself as I have enough cookery knives, but anyone who's looking for a great last minute Christmas present snap these up!

I had better get myself down into town in the morning and take some photos of Taylors Eye Witness Works ( ex Needham, Veall & Tyzack ) My Grandfather worked there for 60 years as a Razor Grinder. 60 years, can you imagine that !!

I actually had a visit around the premises with my brother over 25 years ago.

Very little left inside of what would have been there in Grandfathers day. You could see the remains of the gas mantle fittings on the wall of a shop, fittings which would be used to light the premises, also in one corner was the remains of a fireplace / chimney stack from which the room would be heated. Would imagine it wouldn't have produced that much warmth in a sizeable room with single glazed windows which they probably had open to try and expel the dust produced from the grinding wheels.

Grandfather would walk back and forth to work every day of his life. Through the cold and damp of the winter and the warmth of spring and summer. Hard toil over a grinding wheel, with the likelihood of it exploding. No canteen facilities, no sick pay, a weeks holiday per year and he was still working up to his death in 1941 when aged 70. The good old days.

Me think not !!

I worked there in my holidays a long long time ago. A veritable rabbit warren of little mesters and buffer "ladies". Made some very very sharp knives, some of which I still use, used to cut my hands to ribbons, lots of little knicks and cuts. It's prime land so will be very valuable.

Richard

Archived