Immediate post war United team & members

MonksKirby

Sadly I heard recently of the death of Joe Shaw amongst the best 'stoppers' the team had.This set me thinking of notable events regarding the team.I seem to recall that just after the end of the war we played on both Xmas Day & Boxing Day usually reverse fixtures.I remember United beating Grimsby Town 7-1 on Xmas Day then 6-1 at Grimsby the following day.Can anyone recall the date of the match against Newcastle United where we were 4 up in the first ten minutes?

Sorry I can't help you with that specific match against The Magpies. I remember well the Christmas format - playing Christmas Day with the reverse fixture on Boxing Day. One memorable one was in 1963 when West Ham lost 8-2 at home to Blackburn and two days later won 3-1 at Ewood Park.

I'm no Blade but I think the late-Joe Shaw deserves a better epitaph than 'a stopper'. I thought for a centre-half he was very cultured and tried to play football on the ground - never any 'big boot' - even though he passed back to 'Hodgy' a lot.

Anyway, the best I can do is put forward some Blades of 1948.

Latham, Hagan, Cox, Collindridge, Furniss, Jones, Sloan, Young, White, Brook and Thompson. (not in team order). This team played in a Sheffield 'derby' which took place in the Isle of Man on Whit Monday - score 2-2.

Sadly I heard recently of the death of Joe Shaw amongst the best 'stoppers' the team had.This set me thinking of notable events regarding the team.I seem to recall that just after the end of the war we played on both Xmas Day & Boxing Day usually reverse fixtures.I remember United beating Grimsby Town 7-1 on Xmas Day then 6-1 at Grimsby the following day.Can anyone recall the date of the match against Newcastle United where we were 4 up in the first ten minutes?

1st. January 1955

Sheffield United 6 - Newcastle 2

Ringstead 1- Hagan 2 - Hawksworth 1 - Spencer 2

Cheers, Cynthia. Canada.

Excellent point you make regarding Joe Shaw a true footballing centre half and one who should have been an England regular.Marvellous to also hear the names mentioned of some of the other United stars.Do you recall the rivalry between the Owls and Blades supporters regarding Jackie Robinson and Jimmy Hagan?

Excellent point you make regarding Joe Shaw a true footballing centre half and one who should have been an England regular.Marvellous to also hear the names mentioned of some of the other United stars.Do you recall the rivalry between the Owls and Blades supporters regarding Jackie Robinson and Jimmy Hagan?

Not personally but my late father, who played in the same team as Robinson, had Jackie as his idol.

Can I add to the list of post war United greats, goalkeeper Jack Smith who returned after war service,Albert Nightingale,Walter Ricketts,and another stalwart Ernest Jackson,and I fully agree the comment about a fashionable club,Joe Shaw would certainly had played for England a few times, and Ted Burgin too.

Having seen both Jimmy Hagan and Jackie Robinson play I would say they were different insofar Hagan was the ball magician and could make opponents look silly with his skill, what I can remember of Robinson he was the bustling get on with it forward.

Another tragedy was Hagan not playing international football more than he did, when watching some of todays players I wonder how they would handle Jimmy Hagan, or Jackie Robinson, hypothetical I know,but it is an interesting thought.

Regarding the aforementioned match with Newcastle, me and my mates were delayed in getting there, we dawdled over another pint,and when we finally got in United were 4 up.

Having spiced things up by mentioning other team mates I apologise for not remembering Ernest Jackson and whilst they wern't internationals I also recall Albert Cox,Eddie Shimwell together with Jimmy Hagan's 'minder' Alex Forbes a player who made todays Robbie Savage look like Rudolph Nureyev! I also recall a postponed cup tie being played midweek due to an excess of snow against Stoke City who in those days were a very considerable opposition.Only the playing area had been cleared with the cricketing area still covered in deep snow and the touchlines were marked in red and we played with an orange ball.

Archived