RAC - Has anyone else had a really long wait to be rescued?

Had to wait 3 bliddy hours for the RAC, my daughter broke down about an hour ago, they told she's to wait all this time, she explained she was a woman on her own, made no difference to them, told her they would try and get someone to her as soon as possilble, all well and good, but ive been babysitting since 7.30 am and ive a shocking cold just started, she's been working all day, and my hubbys had to go to work :rant::rant: little ones fine, but he will want his bed at some time :roll:

Had to wait 3 bliddy hours for the RAC, my daughter broke down about an hour ago, they told she's to wait all this time, she explained she was a woman on her own, made no difference to them, told her they would try and get someone to her as soon as possilble, all well and good, but ive been babysitting since 7.30 am and ive a shocking cold just started, she's been working all day, and my hubbys had to go to work :rant::rant: little ones fine, but he will want his bed at some time :roll:

Try using buses and then you will know what a wait is.

Would have thought during the daytime and in 'reasonable' weather - 3 hours is a joke. Add to that a woman on her own makes it worse. Been told on good authority that for every 1 RAC operator there are 3 AA in this area and that this equals out the further south you go. Not sure if that's true but I think I'd be looking for some other breakdown cover if that's the best RAC can do. Did the 3 hours include the repair as well, what was wrong I wonder and where was she - a dodgy area? Perhaps RAC's top-brass ought to know this happened and get some reasons why - I would.

I passed a woman who had broken down on the drakehouse roundabout - saw she had a baby in the car but also saw she was on the phone so didn't stop as I assumed she would be sorted out in no time - i'm no mechanic so couldn't have offered any practical help anyway.

Returning from Crystal Peaks a few hours later I was shocked to see the lady still there with her car, so pulled round to see if she was ok. She'd been waiting two and a half hours - a woman alone with a baby! That was with the AA. Fortunately, she'd been able to contact her dad who had taken the baby to his house.

Add: If you go out for a bus then you prepare by dressing appropriatly to ensure you don't get cold/wet during the wait. Going somewhere in your own car when you're not expecting to be cold means that you're more vulnerable - hence even a short wait can be very uncomfortable. During this cold weather, be prepared, always keep a warm coat/blanket and emergency supplies for if you get caught out.

Take my advice change to Green Flag they have a promise they are always with you within an hour or you get £10 I think it is.

I have broken down a few times they have kept to their promise always there within the hour:)

I had the AA cover free with a car I bought had same problem ran out of petrol on M1 (I know it was my own fault) told 3 hours it was quicker to walk to nearest petrol station up the bank and accross some muddy fields.

I passed a woman who had broken down on the drakehouse roundabout - saw she had a baby in the car but also saw she was on the phone so didn't stop as I assumed she would be sorted out in no time - i'm no mechanic so couldn't have offered any practical help anyway.

Returning from Crystal Peaks a few hours later I was shocked to see the lady still there with her car, so pulled round to see if she was ok. She'd been waiting two and a half hours - a woman alone with a baby! That was with the AA. Fortunately, she'd been able to contact her dad who had taken the baby to his house.

Add: If you go out for a bus then you prepare by dressing appropriatly to ensure you don't get cold/wet during the wait. Going somewhere in your own car when you're not expecting to be cold means that you're more vulnerable - hence even a short wait can be very uncomfortable. During this cold weather, be prepared, always keep a warm coat/blanket and emergency supplies for if you get caught out.

Is this the same incident in the original post? Some coincidence if it isn't! The post mentioned the RAC - you mention the AA? I've no axe to grind with either but I would be astonished if it had been the AA! Been a member of the AA for umpteen years and always found them brill. Have heard good reports of Green Flag as well. I hope all's well now - you did well to stop and offer help. Whichever organisation is involved I think they want to get their act together 'cos of the very points you've raised.

Archived