RAC - Has anyone else had a really long wait to be rescued?

Its an awful situation to be in and my sympathy goes out to your daughter, but if theres no patrols available, then what can they do to get there faster? If they'd prioritised you then someone else could have been waiting for 3 and a half hours...

Genuinely, you have my sympathy, but these situations can and will occur with any organisation with limited resources.

Its an awful situation to be in and my sympathy goes out to your daughter, but if theres no patrols available, then what can they do to get there faster? If they'd prioritised you then someone else could have been waiting for 3 and a half hours...

Genuinely, you have my sympathy, but these situations can and will occur with any organisation with limited resources.

Perhaps they should look at the resources available - we're talking about dry but cold weather, daytime, probably not either rush hour. Could they not have sub-contracted it to a local garage if they were inundated? - Not left the poor lass and youngster to freeze. I've heard the AA do this but it's perhaps a bit pot luck who actually comes - I would hope the sub-contractor would have been vetted by someone and offer something like the proffessionalism you would expect from RAC / AA? Whichever way you look at this case it seems a bit of a '****-up' and I still reckon at least an apology would be in order. I pay about £130 pa (incl Associate membership and Relay etc) for the level of service I get from the AA - and I have peace of mind wherever I am - if my daughter had to wait over 3 hours I'd be spending my membership money somewhere else. Sad they let themselves and the youngster down.

When I broke down today I was about two miles from my home.

I sometimes wonder if a policy whereby if it is very cold, or you are not in a safe place etc, if breakdown services ought to offer a service whereby you go somewhere warm and dry and convenient and the man picks you upand takes you to the car if they are going to be literally hours.

My repair man came to me from a job in darnall. he literally drove past my house to pick get to my car, I would've gladly gone home on the bus and waited there for him.

Would have thought during the daytime and in 'reasonable' weather - 3 hours is a joke. Add to that a woman on her own makes it worse. Been told on good authority that for every 1 RAC operator there are 3 AA in this area and that this equals out the further south you go. Not sure if that's true but I think I'd be looking for some other breakdown cover if that's the best RAC can do. Did the 3 hours include the repair as well, what was wrong I wonder and where was she - a dodgy area? Perhaps RAC's top-brass ought to know this happened and get some reasons why - I would.

Hiya, the 3 hrs was the estimated time of arrival, she was at Mosborough Moor, they came after 2 hrs, she was at my house 2 and a half hours later. The trouble is she's signed up for a year, i know RAC is cheaper, but is it worth it? :roll:

I passed a woman who had broken down on the drakehouse roundabout - saw she had a baby in the car but also saw she was on the phone so didn't stop as I assumed she would be sorted out in no time - I'm no mechanic so couldn't have offered any practical help anyway.

Returning from Crystal Peaks a few hours later I was shocked to see the lady still there with her car, so pulled round to see if she was ok. She'd been waiting two and a half hours - a woman alone with a baby! That was with the AA. Fortunately, she'd been able to contact her dad who had taken the baby to his house.

Add: If you go out for a bus then you prepare by dressing appropriately to ensure you don't get cold/wet during the wait. Going somewhere in your own car when you're not expecting to be cold means that you're more vulnerable - hence even a short wait can be very uncomfortable. During this cold weather, be prepared, always keep a warm coat/blanket and emergency supplies for if you get caught out.

Saw the same lady Bonny, my hubby saw her on his way home from work, he too saw her on the phone, then when we went out a couple of hours later poor woman was still there :( my hubbys with Green Flag, the longest he's waited is 40 mins, and he's a strapping 6rt 2, they really should be ashamed of themselves, leaving a woman and a baby :rant:

Sorry, but 3 hrs is not on, they take your money, right give a better service, its not as if its been teeming down with snow :huh:

Is this the same incident in the original post? Some coincidence if it isn't! The post mentioned the RAC - you mention the AA? I've no axe to grind with either but I would be astonished if it had been the AA! Been a member of the AA for umpteen years and always found them brill. Have heard good reports of Green Flag as well. I hope all's well now - you did well to stop and offer help. Whichever organisation is involved I think they want to get their act together 'cos of the very points you've raised.

No, not the same Beady, my hubby told her to join Green Flag, but no she joined this shower, the longest he's waited is 40 min, speaks for itself dosent it

I was with RAC for over 10 years, had the usual breakdowns (mostley exhaust problems), then the other month on the way to Maltby, the Alternator went (No power), i had 3 children in the car, it was really cold, and to top it off my baby was sick.

After alot of phonecalls to the RAC a contracter (Local garage) turned up, lifted the bonnet, (didn't check anything), and said we'd have to be low loaded back home.

It took over 3hrs for him to arrive.

I was not impressed

Cancelled day after, will never go back now.

Archived