Sheffield 'Founding' Families

mrsmills

Perhaps the most famous of the residential developments was the area now known as Nether Edge. Most of it was the work of one man—George Wostenholm—the owner of a large cutlery manufacting operation. Piece by piece he bought up most of the land from Sharrow lane to Bryncliffe Edge and down to Abbeydale road. He built himself a large house in parkland called Kenwood (now the Swallow Hotel) and surrounded it with housing for the emerging middle classes of burgeoning industrial Sheffield.

I found this photo of the old Wostenholm IXL factory on the English Heritage site.

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/reference.asp?index=25&main_query=sheffield&theme=&period=&county=SOUTH%20YORKSHIRE&district=SHEFFIELD&place_name=&imageUID=15744

Imagine the value of that if it was still standing in its prime location overlooking Devonshire Green and renovated as flats. It was very shortsighted to demolish it.

I have always wondered about the many references to the duke of norfolk there are in sheffield. Arundal,surrey,howard,mowbray,maltraves,fitzallen, just a few. Why was he such a influence in sheffield?

Because he owned all the land and is still the owner of quite a lot.

( Though I bought a bit once when I bought the leasehold of my home )!!

What we should do is make list all the people concerned in the creation of or from Sheffield.

P.M. your list to me and I'll get the young lady, who ghosts my letters and articles into readable English, to draw up a alphabetic listing.

In the New Year we can take it from their.

If anyone Fancy's a natter about this, whilst walking the Sheffield Canal Tow Path to Rotherham on 31 December, ( Details from Scoobz, in the Forum Walking Group section) I'd be please to meet you.

I found this photo of the old Wostenholm IXL factory on the English Heritage site.

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/reference.asp?index=25&main_query=sheffield&theme=&period=&county=SOUTH%20YORKSHIRE&district=SHEFFIELD&place_name=&imageUID=15744

Imagine the value of that if it was still standing in its prime location overlooking Devonshire Green and renovated as flats. It was very shortsighted to demolish it.

The photograph makes me feel old. I remember it just how it is!!

I can remember people lived in houses in that area in building that were very similar also.

Have we got on the forum a former ex-resident ?

The photograph makes me feel old. I remember it just how it is!!

I can remember people lived in houses in that area in building that were very similar also.

Have we got on the forum a former ex-resident ?

Here's a picture I took of the same building in 1977 just before demolition.

WostenholmeIXLWashingtonWorks1977.jpg

I had just arrived in Sheffield and used to walk past it every day on my way up to the university. I really liked the building and was dismayed when it was decided to demolish it and replace it with..... well nothing special.

There's some more info in this scan -

Wostenholme.jpg

I believe that the Wostenholmes bought the family cutlery business, the Burnands, who were famous in America too for their knives etc.

My Mom was talking to a decendent of the Wostenholmes who is a home Physio and got Mum chattering away about stuff. Strange how people are connected so easily.

Here's a picture I took of the same building in 1977 just before demolition.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/Alastairw/?action=view&current=WostenholmeIXLWashingtonWorks1977.jpg

I had just arrived in Sheffield and used to walk past it every day on my way up to the university. I really liked the building and was dismayed when it was decided to demolish it and replace it with..... well nothing special.

There's some more info in this scan -

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/Alastairw/?action=view&current=Wostenholme.jpg

A little bt off the theme but the ' Photobucket ' photograh shows the tall chimney with thick black smoke puthering out. Almost all of the works in Sheffield had one of these before the clean air act became law.

The prevailing wind is North/West to South/West to east.

That is one of the reasons why most off the good residential homes, the former Employers homes, are at one side of the city. The working class joined to smoke and smog on the other side of the City.

Archived