Sheffield 'Founding' Families

mrsmills

Putting both the two above postings #036 & #037 together. Probably the ladies from the Castle who used the Bridge could be taken as Nuns in disguise.

So that solves that unless any one else can add anything?

Let me wish everyone ' A Happy New Year ' and resolve to live a quite life with no arguments!!.

Vickers says this:-

"Lady's Bridge is the survivor of one of Sheffield's oldest landmarks. There was a wooden bridge at this crossing of the Don in the time of Henry II (1155-89), but in 1485 the first stone bridge was built. This happened when the Vicar of Sheffield, John Plesaunce, and William Hill, a Master Mason, agreed to build a "Bridge of Stone" over the "Watyr of the Dune Neghe the Castelle of Sheffield". It was known as "The Bridge of Our Lady" because of the chapel which existed at the foot of the bridge on the Wicker side. This chapel in later years was converted into Almshouses for four poor widows and was maintained by the Lord of the Manor and the Town Trustees. The Lord allowed one pound a year to each inmate. The chapel was demolished in 1767."

You have a good sense of humor Albert.

I'll try and dig up the early history, we did once upon a time have a 'Sheffield Historian' employed by the city libraries who I got this story from, but I guess hes been cut back just like everything else.[/quote

Things have moved on in Sheffield. We don't just have a man (historian) but a whole Local Studies Library devoted to guess what ? Yes the history of Sheffield! With well informed professional staff who will direct you to the many fantastic resources that are available for the like of mrsmills it would be good if she/he actually visited studied and delivered her own thesis rather than leeching off you daft lot

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND WHY DONT YOU THINK BEFORE YOU POST

You have a good sense of humor Albert.

I'll try and dig up the early history, we did once upon a time have a 'Sheffield Historian' employed by the city libraries who I got this story from, but I guess hes been cut back just like everything else.[/quote

Things have moved on in Sheffield. We don't just have a man (historian) but a whole Local Studies Library devoted to guess what ? Yes the history of Sheffield! With well informed professional staff who will direct you to the many fantastic resources that are available for the like of mrsmills it would be good if she/he actually visited studied and delivered her own thesis rather than leeching off you daft lot

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND WHY DONT YOU THINK BEFORE YOU POST

A very Happy New Year to you and all who reads this.

However why are we, ' A daft lot '? Actually I've always found that by their actions a number of intellectuals have questionable behaviour which would fall into your suggested category.

'HAPPY NEW YEAR AND WHY DONT YOU THINK BEFORE YOU POST ', like me? Bert Smith.

I assumed the name simply fitted in with the general theme of 1950's and particularly 1960's urban re-generation, where projects like were seemingly intended to give the city and other cities a sense of general and homogeneous urbanisation, i.e. to an extent what Hillsbro is saying. I'm only speculating.

Did the 'big' Sheffield families always live in the suburbs or did they ever retain houses in the city centre? Were they all industrialists or was there 'old money' in Sheffield, was it that that that developed much of Broomhill, Crookes, etc.?

Can I recommend a book I have just this morning finished (it was a Christmas present)?

The title: 'A History of Sheffield'

The author: David Hey

The publisher: Carnegie Publishing

ISBN 10: 1-85936-110-2

ISBN 13: 978-1-85936-110-8

David Hey is Emeritus Professor of Local and Family History at the University of Sheffield.

Did I get the impression you worked at the University? If so, you could either contact Professor Hey directly, or get his book from the library!

Joe

Archived