Sheffield 'Founding' Families

mrsmills

I wish, feeling it these days, at least I don't work in freezing temperatures any more, building for Celebs has its advantages, not least that I don't have any compunction about giving them a 'really good service' if you catch my drift.

Keep smiling, its a new year, there's always better around the corner, and who know I may even make enough to get that full body transplant I've always hankered on.

Cheers,

Dave F.

At the time of the ' Cholera Epidemic ' the Lord Mayor was called ' Butcher '.( or Some other name. )

I think that for services to those effected by the disease, before he also succumbed to it, He stood out by helping them.

For this, I believe that on the Cholera Monument his name is mentioned.

At the time of the ' Cholera Epidemic ' the Lord Mayor was called ' Butcher '.( or Some other name. )

I think that for services to those effected by the disease, before he also succumbed to it, He stood out by helping them.

For this, I believe that on the Cholera Monument his name is mentioned.

There's an extra headstone-type memorial next to the main one in honour of him

I have always wondered about the many references to the duke of norfolk there are in sheffield. Arundal,surrey,howard,mowbray,maltraves,fitzallen, just a few. Why was he such a influence in sheffield?

he owned all the coal mineing rights which he leased off in 1805 ,one really big name in the coal industry when deep shaft mineing started is william jeffcock, i know a william jeffcock in sheffield know he comes from the park area where the one of the 1800s came from ,i wonder if they are related?.

Indeed, even when coal was nationalised the Duke got one half penny for every tonn extracted from both the Nunnery and Orgreave mines, that's every tonn of everything extracted not just coal, smart deal with an 18 inch seam, and that's why the coal board wouldn't cut a face higher than just enough for a man to crawl through.

Archived