The Lawns Farm Rivelin Valley

Are you getting Rivelin Dam confused with Redmires Dam.

Redmires Dam is next to the moors beyond Lodge Moor which is quite a distance from Rivelin Valley road.

You could look at old postcards of that area, as many views were sold.

Have you tried the 'Picture Sheffield' website?

Ring Malcolm Nunn on aa Thursday at the Bradfield Archive as he has a good collection of local views both photographs and postcards.

He would also give you any extra info, history etc. on the farm as he is an expert on that area.

I'm sorry I haven't got his telephone number but you will find the Bradfield Archive in the book.

I do hope this helps you, do let us know how you get on.

Happy Days!

Many thanks for your suggestion.I will contact Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives.

This Farm is near to the old Post Office on Rivelin Valley Road & I could see Redmires Dam in the distance confimed by my ordance survey map. It was I must say quite a distance from the Farm. There are some old Water Work buildings to the left of this Farm which I presumed were to do with the Dam.

Michael

As PopT says, I think it must be Rivelin Dams that you mean. Redmires Dam is not far away, but it is much higher, basically on the top of the hill at the top of Wyming brook, so you cannot see it from lower down the valley. There is a large water tratment works at Rivelin, just along the road from the Post Office.

Edit. ...but back to your question. I've just had a look on the Sheffield Library site - there doesn't appear to be anything. A few landscapes of Rivelin Dams (also called Hollowmeadows) which may show it in the distance - its hard to tell.

Yes I am tracing my Thompson cousins roots. They are both in their eighties & no longer live near.

I have the book that you mention ..."Reminiscing Rivelin" plus "A tree in the Valley".

The oldest Thompson that I have traced to my cousins was a George Thompson born at the Lawns Farm in 1756. The Family I believe have been in the area since the 1500's.

I have a current photo of the Farm but would love to see any old either photos or prints.

Michael

• 2 years later...

hi

the lane to lawns farm is the first on the right after the old rivelin post office. the farm is set about 150m back from the road.

i believe john thompson still lives there, his brother jeff moved to a farm on the linconshire coast (near sommercoats) some years ago.

In its day the farm was an important feature in the valley and employed many farm workers supplying the surrounding areas of crooks, crosspool, hillsborough,walkley etc with dairy produce, potatoes etc.. i was allotment neighbour to one of old levi thompsons horse drivers!

the neibouring farm mentioned is the rivelin house farm owned by the thompson family in the day. Yorkshire water built a holding tank between the farms and some adjoining rough land was used as land fill which has altered the outlook of that side of the valley. the dams just up the road are the rivelin dams.

Slightly off-topic (no pictures) but maybe of interest to readers of this thread:

Monumental Inscriptions from Bradfield churchyard:

F414

In loving memory of LEVI the beloved husband of ANNIE THOMPSON (of The Lawns, Rivelin) who departed this life November 26th 1924 in his 83rd year.

Also of the above named ANNIE THOMPSON who departed this life April 13th 1925 in her 77th year. Until the day break and the shadows flee away.

E145

In loving memory of MARK the beloved son of EZRA AND HANNAH THOMPSON of Flash Stannington who died March 26th 1911 aged 14 months. Suffer little children to come unto me.

Also of the above named HANNAH THOMPSON the beloved wife of EZRA THOMPSON of The Lawns Rivelin who died January 18th 1933 aged 57 years. Where no shadows fall.

Also EZRA the beloved husband of the above who died January 11th 1962 aged 90 years.

Hugh