Dooley! - Thanks for the memories.

CHAIRBOY

Derek - The pick of my presents is your autobiography which brings back so many memories - some poignant, others more happy - with so many others encapsulated in the wonderful photographs within, which my 83yo mum Vera (whom you know) is currently looking at.

Well done Keith Farnsworth, for yet another painstaking tome, which I shall set about in due course, re-living, in particular, the wealth of Hillsborough nostalgia. Merry Christmas and every good wish for 2008 - this publication must be a sure-fire hit across Sheffield and I am very proud for it to sit on my sporting shelves.

Derek - The pick of my presents is your autobiography which brings back so many memories - some poignant, others more happy - with so many others encapsulated in the wonderful photographs within, which my 83yo mum Vera (whom you know) is currently looking at.

Well done Keith Farnsworth, for yet another painstaking tome, which I shall set about in due course, re-living, in particular, the wealth of Hillsborough nostalgia. Merry Christmas and every good wish for 2008 - this publication must be a sure-fire hit across Sheffield and I am very proud for it to sit on my sporting shelves.

Enjoy your book Chairboy.

Remember Albert Quixall,Tony Currie etc but this is the man to unite all football fans and many who don't follow football.

Many Thanks Derek, live long and prosper.

I recently finished 'Dooley' myself, I enjoyed very much and I didn't think I would, so there you go. The descriptions of the games and the photographs take you back to a different age. But tell me this CHAIRBOY is your copy of the book a reprint, mine's got a publishing date at 2000.

I recently finished 'Dooley' myself, I enjoyed very much and I didn't think I would, so there you go. The descriptions of the games and the photographs take you back to a different age. But tell me this CHAIRBOY is your copy of the book a reprint, mine's got a publishing date at 2000.

Yes, 2000 it is. I confess I thought it was just out to celebrate his recent city accolade but when I phoned the purchaser to thank him, he said it had 'escaped his radar'. I then read the 'introduction' by Tony Pritchett and realised it went back beyond Tony's sad passing.

It is of particular interest to me as my late father retired in 1950 at a time when Derek was just beginning to make an impression. I note Derek's idol was Jackie Robinson, the same as my dad.

I've read the first 40 pages about his upbringing which was so typical of caring, hard-working families at that time. Playing football in the street with coats for posts and the bobby's beat, is an easy read for me because I can relate to it!

I've also seen the photograph of Derek with the late-PC and goalkeeper Peter Springett, brother of my all-time Owls' idol, Ron.

Thanks for that Chairboy. I got on to Amazon and got an as new second hand copy for £3.99. On the 26th, they had no new ones in stock. When I've survived New Year festivities, I look forward to reading it.

Don't know if this has been spotted before but I think an error has escaped the net on Page 127? Dooley recalls: "Our regular route took us up through Woolley Woods, past Middlewood Hospital as far as a bridge at Oughtibridge." I am sure the wood in question is Beeley Wood?

P155 - Teesside.

Gradually losing patience! - P247 (David Layne) "was a Sheffield lad but Wednesday signed him from Swindon for a modest fee" - David joined Wednesday from Bradford City in 1962!

P254 Crystal Palace player is Iain Phillip, NOT Phillips

JACKIE SEWELL - Jackie, who is 81 this month, features prominently in DOOLEY! both in text and photos. I saw him score both goals at Bolton in the 6th Round cup replay of 1954.

I have just seen Jackie on the BBC coverage of Aston V - Manchester Utd tie - as a member of the Villa '57 cup-winning team. Nigel Sims, Peter McParland and Jackie were guests of the club and the camera twice zoomed in on them.

Jackie, who was once a club record buy when Wednesday signed him from Notts.County, is silver grey but looking in good form.

Archived