Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's the place. I remember the goat curry too. If I remember correctly it was a Caribbean type club that was popular with students. A bit different to the Motown type places mentioned in other parts of this thread.

Getting back to original thread I also used to visit a restaurant in the middle of Sheffield that was in a basement and that had tin cans as light shades. I think this place might have been something to do with Pete Stringfellow because the chap I went there with was a pal of Pete's. Can anybody remember that place?

Long drive back to Wakefield at 2.00 in the morning!:)

• 2 years later...
Hi all. Been reading the excellant biography Of Peter Stringfellow 'King of Clubs', and it really does reveal a lot about the history of Sheffields pub and club circuit of the 50s 60s and early 70's. Also fascinating insight into local youth culture and trends of the 60's and the rise of the mega succesful MOJO club and the PENTHOUSE. Anyone wanting a good insight into Sheffield of this period should take a look through this book, its not just all glamour and glitzy self praise about being a superstar London club owner, but actually the first half of the book is an extremely well written account of Sheffield socio-cultural life.

Great read, and revealed some aspects of Sheffield culture of the 60's I never knew really existed here. Learnt a few things about the Penthouse (later REBELS) club I never knew about, in that it was not the glamorous "London comes to Sheffield with class and style" club it was supposed to be, but a rough and ready venue with a real reputation for fighting and violence.

ive just bought it off amazon for 1 pence lol

theres a few more penny sellers if anybody wants it

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.
Not sure if it's true but I've heard that in the book Pete Stringfellow stated that Peter Green (Fleetrwood Mac) played guitar for 'Screaming Lord Sutch' at the Balck Cat Club in 1963, Our group 'The Drumbeats' supported Sutch & The Savages that night and I certainly doubt that Greenie was on guitar.

The Savages opened up with Griegs 'Dance Of The Imps In The Hall Of The Mountain King' from 'Pier Gynt'.

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.

Dixon Lane