Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

He was born in Marshall Street, Pitsmoor. The family later moved to Gleadless Valley. They lived on Constable Road and other addresses on the estate.

If you can track it down, his autobiography King Of Clubs is worth a read (despite the spelling mistakes) and will give you all the background info you need. It was published by Warner Books in 1996

the Stringfellow family lived at the bottom end of Abbeyfield rd in the 50ties

• 1 month later...

my sister used to work inthe cloakrooms in the mojo club in the sixties she remembers many of the famous bands of that era playing therefrom what i can rember it was painted white and stood right at the the top of the hill at the corner of pitsmoor road and barnsley road

• 1 month later...

Mikey, the big Penthouse bouncer was Brian Turner. I saw several people who should have known better (and probably would have if they hadnt had a drink!) try to take him on. Those stairs were an awful long way down.

Its sad but true that in the end the first Stringfellow club to have an alcohol licence ended up having far too much booze fueled trouble. An eventual big change of crowd from the original Mojo-ites.

Peter Stringfellows club on High Street was underneath Dolcis shoe shop and was called Broadway Bistrotheque, it was managed by Keith Williams who later went on to open Stringfellows in New York.

The MOJO club started life at Heeley next to Heeley Bridge.

'Down Broadway' as the high street club was known, was the first place in Sheffield to have a Microwave oven installed. It was fascinating to watch your pie and peas warm up in 2 minutes - Ho what a mis-spent youth!

• 1 month later...