Firth Park Bowling Alley 1963-1969

Patriotsfan

I worked at the bowling alley starting in 1963. I spent most of the time as Assistant Manager and worked mainly the night shifts from 5pm till close.After quitting in1966 I still frequented the Licensed Club upstairs and helped start the football club there called Quadrant F.C. I would like to hear from any former staff or customers who bowled in some of the great leagues at that time.

• 3 weeks later...
I worked at the bowling alley starting in 1963. I spent most of the time as Assistant Manager and worked mainly the night shifts from 5pm till close.After quitting in1966 I still frequented the Licensed Club upstairs and helped start the football club there called Quadrant F.C. I would like to hear from any former staff or customers who bowled in some of the great leagues at that time.

My mum was a bar maid there in the 1960s her name was Joyce Lister she worked with Jean Simmons and a bloke Frank was in charge of the bar my dad used to go in at the same time his name was Doug and after the bar was shut I used to go in only on a saturday night and I was always sat on the bar,

I had my Stag night at Firth Park bowling alley in March 1968. Had a great time then adjourned to the pub to get rid of the sweat !

I also took my kids there a few times in the late 1970's I think when I came back to see my mum at Page Hall for the weekend ( I moved to North Yorks in 1976).

Great times !

John

I remember as a kid going to the opening of the bowling alley,not sure of the year,I think it may have been about 1962/3, there was some americans at the opening , I remember them talking on the PA system, also remember the overpowering smell of new carpets,and a Glass Cabinet near the entrance with a display of top of the range bowling balls.

Is it still open?

My mum was a bar maid there in the 1960s her name was Joyce Lister she worked with Jean Simmons and a bloke Frank was in charge of the bar my dad used to go in at the same time his name was Doug and after the bar was shut I used to go in only on a saturday night and I was always sat on the bar,

I remember your parents very well. Your mum was a pleasure to work with as she was cheerful and a hard worker. Your dad had his usual spot at the bar and I often had a pint with him.He was working at a steelworks if I remember correctly.Pleasant memories for me of a very busy place but lots of laughs and fun.

I remember your parents very well. Your mum was a pleasure to work with as she was cheerful and a hard worker. Your dad had his usual spot at the bar and I often had a pint with him.He was working at a steelworks if I remember correctly.Pleasant memories for me of a very busy place but lots of laughs and fun.

Unfortunately they are not with us anymore my dad pasted away 1994 and my mum past away November 11th 2007 but she used to enjoy her time at the bowling alley especially all the fun and laughter

Archived